Is there anything I can do to fix my labia?

I'm very uncomfortable in everyday clothes including underwear, shorts, jeans, anything. I can't even dance or cheer without a camel toe from doing splits or moving too much. It causes me a lot of anxiety and I cry about it everyday. I went to a male gynecologist about it and he said I was normal which I new but he didn't care about how I felt about it. I noticed this change in my body when I was 15 I don't understand why this happened.

Candidate for Labiaplasty

Candidates for #labiaplasty and #vaginal surgery include women concerned about the appearance of their genitals , or those who experience discomfort, pain or difficulty with sexual relations.  Moisture can create problems such as yeast infections. Surgery is the most common treatment and this problem can usually be corrected in under one hour with a local anaesthetic. Many women feel more comfortable and relaxed with a quick twilight or general anaesthetic. Each procedure is customized to the physical findings as well as the desired goals of the patient. Some procedures may include treatment of the clitoris or clitoral hood to further enhance this region.  The “trim procedure” is a straight incision along the edge of the labia to reduce excess tissue.  A “wedge” is the removal of a triangular shaped part of the labia with the remaining parts placed together to look completely normal. There are other options and specific details incorporated with labiaplasty, and the best thing to do would be to contact local plastic surgeons for consultations in discussing your desired results. Best of luck to you!

It happened because of bad luck and puberty

This is all genetic and i'm sorry that you're dealing with this. It's a really easy fix if you find the right doctor. Really easy. Just don't go to any more local GYNs. You need to find a labiaplasty specialist. One with great reviews on RealSelf, photos, videos, a great website that explains the deal.Labia minora enlarge with puberty, just like the male penis does, and the problem is that women aren't educated about this... until now. Look into the details of labiaplasty at the link below and it will make sense.If you can't find a local doc who truly makes you feel comfortable and is offering something other than just cutting off what's extra with a scissors (yikes) then travel to have this done. You won't regret it one bit and you'll move on and have all your mojo back in no time.

You should consider a labiaplasty

you should see a board certified Plastic Surgeon or gynecologist, with experience doing labiaplasty.i do them in the office under local anesthetic with oral sedation most of the should be able to return to work after 48 yours.
david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

From a young woman: "What can I do to "fix" my enlarged labia?"

I have operated on several young (17 y.o. or under) women; I understand your concern. Of course you don't NEED surgery.  Of course, you are "normal!"  But, if your robust size is either an ongoing psychological, sexual, or functional issue for you, a labiaplasty performed by an EXPERIENCED surgeon, preferably one who is skilled in DIFFERENT techniques will minimize the size in an aesthetic manner.  Most importantly, seek a surgeon who will look at you and YOUR wishes, and design his or her procedure to fit YOUR needs, anatomy, and aesthetic desires.  Go to different surgeon's websites and choose a surgeon whose outcomes vary according to the anatomy, not one whose "after" pictures all look the same.  With your special anatomy, you are an individual, and if you will be having surgery, and paying a lot of money, see someone who can individualize your work. It's a difficult decision.  My advice to my patients is, "...If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" You can always have it done; you can't have it undone... If, after understanding that you are a healthy, happy, beautiful, sexual human being as you are, you are still bugged, sexually hold back, feel self-conscious, and/or have functional issues... then, YES, labiaplasty PERFORMED BY AN EXPERIENCED ARTIST/SURGEON can make a difference! ** There is much educational info on the link below, as well as the Blogs on my site.  Be informed, and Enjoy! If you are under 18 y.o. you will need to come in with a parent or guardian; If you haven't yet discussed matters with your mom, now is the time to "bring it up." Sometimes hard & awkward, I know, but- trust me- all the moms I see coming in with their daughters understand & are supportive.

Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA USA

Labiaplasty candidate

You most likely are a candidate for a labiaplasty. Most women want the most aesthetically beautiful genital area they can have, thus I created my technique of doing labiaplasty called the True Labiaplasty. I recently presented my technique at the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery.
There are many type of labiaplasty procedures. I personally prefer my method of doing labiaplasty procedures using a modified posterior wedge technique. It can give you very good symmetry of the labia, it looks the best aesthetically, and postoperatively they experience less pain in my experience. In addition, many patients have more satisfying sex since the sensitive thin delicate labial edges are left intact. You can learn more on the link below.  Details are on my website on the link below. Your concerns are exactly the reason why I developed my technique. Good luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Of most importance, your labia minora cause you discomfort.  In that case, a labiaplasty is a good idea, but it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks.  It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed.  If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced it at the same time. No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.
Gary J. Alter, M.D.Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Sounds like you are ready to have this properly addressed.

Your concerns are textbook typical of the patient who would benefit from either ThermiVa or a surgical labiaplasty in the hands of a skilled and experienced plastic surgeon or gynecologist. I would recommend that you do your research and don't schedule your surgery until you feel confident about your choice of surgeon, and you have a good understanding of both your non-surgical and surgical options. In experienced hands this is a straightforward operation and in our own practice thankfully has a low risk of complications and a very high percentage of extremely satisfied patients. All of the concerns you describe should be alleviated by a properly performed labiaplasty, if not be three ThermiVa treatments. Best of luck to you. 

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Labia fix?

Your story and concerns are in good company with almost ever other patient that undergoes labiaplasty and/or clitoral hood reduction (aka hoodectomy) and experiences a major boost in (sexual) self-confidence and pleasure thereafter.  Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips) but not infrequently trimming or tucking of the labia majora (outer/thicker lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Most commonly it is done under light sedation (aka twighlight sleep) with local anesthesia, in which case the patient should feel no pain during the operation.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Most women, just like yourself, prefer to have as much of the darker pigmented edges removed as possible.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function - typically ~10 mm or so of the dry part of the labia.  To achieve these three most important elements, I have found that the "Trim Method" satisfies best.  It is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it is this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.
Although there is no guarantee, women frequently do seek clitoral hood reduction (Hoodectomy) to improve exposure of the clitoris and hence better stimulation during sexual activity. By removing some of the excess &/or redundant skin concealing the clitoris, it becomes more readily exposed to sexual stimulation and hence a heightened sexual experience/orgasm is possible.  Sometimes I recommend adding hoodectomy to labiaplasty to better harmonize the aesthetic outcome.  Again, the key is seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs this procedure regularly (>2-3 x/month) so that just the right amount of tissue is removed and just the right amount remains such that the clitoris is not constantly exposed and rubbing on clothing, etc... Typical fee for a hoodectomy is ~$3000 but reduced to about half that price if done along with a labiaplasty.
Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly.  Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there.  Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation.  No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks.  My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin or Percocet but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom  made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best.  Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Normal anatomy doesn't invalidate your request

Labia minora come in all shapes and sizes. Elongated labia can either be symptom-free or extremely uncomfortable. If they bother you, seek out an expert in labiaplasty. I treat women with symptoms like yours on a regular basis. Many gynecologists and other surgical specialists, male and female, are untrained in these procedures and are uncomfortable with these requests.

Labiaplasty is an option for you

Thank you for sharing. We hear your story over and over from women that come in for a consult for labiaplasty. They feel they are not heard by their gynecologist. And yes, it's not only the male gyns but females as well. Now that labiaplasty is more common, patients are asking their doctors about it and that takes lot of courage to even take that first step. When women, such as yourself, finally feel like they are being heard it can be very empowering. Your next step is to find a surgeon that has the expertise to do a terrific job for you and listens to what you want for your outcome. Research until you are confident that you are choosing the right surgeon. It's also very rewarding for a surgeon to perform a labiaplasty as patients are so happy and grateful and often wonder why they waited so long. Good luck to you.Dr. Jennifer S. Hayes, Cosmetic Gynecologist