Swelling in both sides 10 weeks after surgery. What's causing it? (Photo)

10 weeks before on 4/11/15 surgery for gynecomastia (gland+lipo) . 4 days later I found chest full flat while dressing. 2 weeks later right nipple start getting puffier.. Now after 10 weeks it is still puffier. But left side I feel less puffy but some hardness... I also feel left side(your right side) full of something after waking in morning.what is it? How much it will take to sub areolar region to shrink..

Swelling 10 weeks After Surgery

Seroma which is a collection of fluid under the skin,  occasionally occurs during the postoperative period. Aspiration of the fluid with a needle is frequently helpful. Secondary surgery is rarely necessary.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.

If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Gynecomastia surgery 10 weeks ago

Your are still healing from your surgery and likely the puffiness is related to swelling. Best to give it more time to heal.

Swelling after gynecomastia surgery can fluctuate for 4-6 months

Your photos look fine. You are still healing. Give it six months. Follow up with your own surgeon at that time.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Swelling After 10 Weeks

Thank you very much for your question, and the pictures.

It is difficult to make any assessments or provide any recommendations without an evaluation.  I recommend contacting your doctor, and see how they would like to proceed.  It may just be swelling, or possibly a localized fluid collection.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Thank you for the question but an examination is really needed to make an intelligent response so see your surgeon and be examined.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Swelling after 10 weeks

Ten weeks is still on the early side for any surgery. Weird swelling is to be expected. You will not see for final result for at least 4 months.   All that being said,  I cannot speak to your personal case.  That can only be done by your surgeon. If this is a new change since your last appointment, please call your surgeon and get evaluated. It is possible this is more than swelling, maybe a late seroma, but only your surgeon can tell you that.  Best of luck

Melinda Haws, MD

Swelling in both sides 10 weeks after surgery. What's causing it?

Thank you for your question and series of photographs.  It sounds as if your chest and nipples are experiencing intermittent episodes of swelling from routine healing.  I would recommend you allow more time to pass in order to have your results mature.  It may take up to 6 months or more.  Best wishes!