Puffy nipples 4 months after gynecomastia surgery (Photo)

I got operated on 4th November 2015. Firstly my chest is full flat after 5 days. Later after 2 weeks my right nipple started to swell. It is healing better. Then after 2 months left one also swelled.. I got checked by my plastic surgeon. At present after 4 months nipples are puffy and I feel scar tissue.. When it will reduced. I had started normal physical exercises jogging and chest exercise. Please suggest me

Puffy Nipples Following Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Scarring

Thank you for the question and the photos and scars often take a full year before they are fully mature.  so try to be patient but inform your surgeon of your concerns.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Nipple swelling after gynecomastia surgery

Is normal for the nipples to swell somewhat after gynecomastia surgery. The endpoint when this can be best assessed is at about six months. Sometimes they are puffy because of swelling, and sometimes it could be caused by the way, the incision is healed. You should follow your plastic surgeons advice and follow-up with them in your concerns.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon