Puffy nipples four and a half months after gynecomastia (gland and lipo). Do I need a revision? (Photo)

Got operated on 4/11/15. After a week right nipple started to get puffier. It is still puffier. When it will settle down or any revision is required.

Nipple swelling postop

Healing time from surgery can take up to six months. Swelling is typically less by four months but it could be you need more time. If you still have concerns it is best to schedule an in person examination with your surgeon  to assess your progress #swelling #Nipples #Postop 

Swelling

Thank you for your question and photos.  Because you are at the three month mark post-op, it is likely that you are still swollen.  However, to determine what, if anything, can be done you should be seen in person by your operating surgeon.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Post Gynecomastia with puffy nipples.

Hi risiytgoyal,

Thanks for your question and photos. It is hard to tell how puffy your nipples are. Like the other physicians have said, they don't seem puffy, but that changes based on nipples. You scarred well. Sometimes, when nipples appear puffy after surgery is because some of the fibrofatty breast tissue was left behind. Normally a 1cm area should be left underneath the nipple to make sure it does not indent but if too much remains, then they may seem puffy. Some before pictures would definitely help in your assessment. I recommend expressing your concerns to your plastic surgeon.  Good Luck.

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

Puffy nipples four and a half months after gynecomastia (gland and lipo). Do I need a revision?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Your pictures do not demonstrate any puffiness to your nipples and overall look quite good for gynecomastia surgery.  There is normal erectile function to the nipple that will take place with stimulation or cold temperatures, but voice your concerns to your surgeon, they are in the best position to help you.  

Puffy Nipples After Gynecomastia

Thank you very much for your question.

Based on the pictures provided, I'm not able to easily see the puffiness that concerns you.  You are only 4 months out from surgery, so it may just be swelling.  I recommend you visit with your surgeon, who can then examine you, and determine if there is extra fat or glandular tissue present and what can be done about it.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon