Is it normal to have a feeling of a straw or object going down your arm?

3 week post axilla breast augmentation and a straw like feeling under the skin going down my arm. This area is painful. Is this normal if so what is it?

Speak to your plastic surgeon, it is best

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. Sorry to learn about your concerns.

The best advice that I can give you is that you should speak to your plastic surgeon. Online consultants are not the appropriate source of information for you; your plastic surgeon should be your resource when it comes to postoperative concerns.

This is important because every surgeon has different perspectives, the only one that should be important is the one that operated on you ;)

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Breast Augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi,

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Breast Augmentation

Arm pain after breast augmentation

A straw feeling may be a sensory issue or maybe a thombosed vessel. Best to be evaluated in person by your surgeon.

Arm pain after breast augmentation

Breast Augmentation Post Op Arm Pain

It sounds as if a nerve in your arm was bruised during surgery. Which can happen. It should diminish with time. However, it would probably be a good idea for your surgeon to take a look as an in person examination is always the best diagnostic tool. 

Breast Augmentation Post Op Arm Pain

Is it normal to have a feeling of straw or object going down your arm?

Thank you for your question. Are you speaking of a mondors cord? Be assessed by your plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns. 

Trans axillary breast augmentation

Hi! Its rare, but you could experience altered sensations along the arm following a trans axillary approach. This could be due to bruising of a sensory nerve, which will invariably recover over time. The recovery could be a matter of weeks or months.

All the best and I wish you a fast recovery.

Trans axillary breast augmentation

Arm feeling

From the axilla, a sensory nerve to the inner arm can be bruised. This would cause the sensations you are feeling. As long as the nerve was not cut, it should be temporary although it can take several months to return to normal.

Close follow up with your plastic surgeon is recommended.

Arm feeling

Funny feeling in arm after axillary augment

From your description of a tubular shaped mass under the skin after incision in the under arm, my first inclination would be that this represents a thrombosed vein that we call Mondor's disease. This happens out of necessity of transacting a small vein that crosses under the incision. The portion of the vein beyond the incision then clots and you feel it as this "straw feeling". We have our patients take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory's and place warm compresses on this area. It usually will resolve after a few months. Certainly ask your plastic surgeon to examine you and confirm that this is what you're feeling. Good luck with your new breasts.