I had a breast lift with 270cc under the muscle silicone implants, but my lift wasn't successful. What are my options?

I had a breast lift with implant in March. However, I have the scars from a lift but it doesn't look like they've been lifted at all. I spoke with my doctor and he also saw the problem. I guess my question is, would I have to go through another full anchor lift or could I do something a little less invasive? My doctor also told me that most people don't do a lift with an implant at the same time, he didn't tell me this prior to my surgery or I would've stuck with the lift first.

Revision lift

I find that many of my patients do not fully what the lift procedure can achieve. In most instances, we spend time discussing what the lift and/or the augmentation can do to accomplish a fuller looking breast. Generally speaking however, you cannot change the position of the breast on the chest. A lift essentially rotates the nipple on the breast mound and/or reduces extra skin but it will not reposition the breast crease or shift the mound upwards because it is fixed by the breast crease (underwire area). I typically advise my patients to wait 6-9 months to allow full settling of the implants prior to considering a revision lift.

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation/lifting surgery. Given your disappointment, it sounds like you will be a good candidate for revisionary breast surgery. Exactly what operation should be performed will depend on your  physical examination, concerns, and personal goals. You may wish to post photographs here for more specific advice. 

Otherwise, assuming your plastic surgeon can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with, discuss your concerns/goals directly with him/her preferably in front of a full-length mirror and with the help of goal photographs. Best wishes.

Scars from a lift but it doesn't look like they've been lifted at all.

If you result does not meet expectation your lift of course can be repeated or revised once the implants have settled into place. Office examination is the best way to understand your options.

Lift and implants

I can not really say without seeing before and after photos. But if you are not happy, then you should review with your surgeon options.

Options

Without pictures or a physical exam, it is a bit difficult to say what the options may be.  A redo lift is probably the best option for a predictable, more durable long-term result.  The good news is that a redo lift procedure shouldn't be as extensive a procedure as your first surgery.  I would continue to talk with your doctor about the options to get you to your goals.

Dr. Dan Krochmal
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Revision of mastopexy

Thanks for your question, and I'm sorry to hear you are not satisfied. I would bet that additional skin could be removed to help tighten up the skin and/or lift the nipple and areolae up to a higher point. It may be possible to do in the office setting w/ local anesthesia, which would keep your risks and costs to a minimum. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon