I'm very interested in getting my receding chin fixed, I want a straight profile? (Photos)

I'm very interested in getting my receding chin fixed. Wondering if a chin implant or sliding genioplasty is a better route to go...I heard the chin implant is less recovery time & a bit more affordable. I really want a straight profile & everything proportionate. If I go with a chin implant I feel like I'll need to go with a large implant to fix my problem, although I'm worried it could be too bulky & not look natural

chin implant candidate

In our practice, we rarely ever use a size large implant, and mostly use size small and medium.  Digital computer imaging would be helpful to understand what can be accomplished with a  chin implant procedure on your facial features. Chin implants are performed under local  anesthesia as an outpatient procedure which takes approximately 30 minutes. In our practice, we have been using Implantech silastic chin implants  for the last 25 years with an excellent success rate. For more information, diagrams of the implants, and many before-and-after examples, please see link and the video below

I'm very interested in getting my receding chin fixed

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.

You have a high angle 'slope' to the lower jaw. (the angle of the jaw is close to the earlobe and slopes downward)> This type of pattern usually requires a genioplasty to correct naturally; and you have to be careful not to overproject the chin since it will look too tapered/chinny. Consult the Maxillofacial surgeon for more information. Balance is key and maintaining a natural look does affect the magnitude of the change you want.

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Augmenting Receding Chin

In most patients I recommend an implant to augment the chin because it is less invasive and easier for the patient. Don't worry about picking the size before the operation - consult with an experienced surgeon and look at results in other patients to clarify your goals. The exact size can be determined at the time of surgery using different sizes and in many cases trimming the implant to achieve the desired results.