My face is saggy! (photos)

I'm 30 years old and have suffered with acne my whole life. I have found a product that works for me, but also dairy is a huge trigger. I did go on a ice cream binge a few days prior, so my face is really badly broken out in the below pictures and very dry. It has some scarring, but mostly I'm already losing a lot of volume in my face. What do you recommend? Should I get a peel? Or go straight for the fillers.

Doctor Answers 7

Voluma Helps Sagging Faces

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It sounds like you have a number of issues that are troubling you. Luckily, they are all treatable:

 ·       Acne can be minimized or resolved with lasers and light therapy, as well as topical and/or oral medications.

·       Acne scarred-skin can be resurfaced with lasers and/or chemical peels; deep scars can be filled with hyaluronic-acid fillers or the more permanent Bellafill, which is FDA approved for use on acne scars and can last for several years. 

·       Lost facial volume can be restored with Voluma, which will help ameliorate the sagging that is your primary concern.


Please schedule a consult so that you and a board-certified dermatologist can come up with a treatment plan that will give you the glowing, healthy, uplifted skin you desire.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 20 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Voluma is an ideal treatment for enhancement of the mid face. It works beautifully to correct malar fat descension and aging of the mid face. In some case it is been shown to last up to 2 years. It is not FDA approved for any other location other than mid face. It is a deep injection just off the bone and requires expertise in injecting. It should only be injected by a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon. 
I would recommend you discuss your issue with a board certified dermatologist.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Saggy Face -- Overall Help Needed

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Rather than treat single problems individually, you need a dermatologist who will look at you as a whole and address all the issues you have.
And, by the way, that's the definition of "holistic" -- it doesn't mean treatment with non-western medicines -- Holism is looking at you as a person and not either one or a series of medical issues.

A good dermatologist who does both medical and cosmetic treatments is the answer to your question.
Find one that you are comfortable with and create an overall treatment plan with them.

Michael A. Greenberg, MD
Elk Grove Village Dermatologist
4.9 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Facial changes from acne

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question about Voluma and acne,

You have two issues -
  • Acne and volume loss in your face.
  • First, get the acne under control if possible.
  • Topical antibiotics + tretinoin + glycolics often work well.
  • The second issue is scarring and volume loss.
  • For this, fillers such as Voluma or for superficial skin scars, Radiesse, work well.
  • Please see a plastic surgeon or dermatologist specializing in cosmetic treatments for help in get the best skin -
  • In the mean time, be sure to protect your skin all year with a sun block, if your skin will tolerate it.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Facial volume loss

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi. Thanks for posting your questions on RealSelf.
It seems that you are struggling with 2 problems.

1. Acne prone skin with surface irregularity. 
The foundation of a harmonious face is excellent skin care. I would highly recommend implementing a skin care regimen that helps you achieve less acne and improves your skin texture. The use of sunscreen all year round is also a MUST.

2. Facial volume loss
This can be addressed with HA fillers such as Voluma to return volume to area that may have lost volume over time. 

Together, these regimens can provide excellent results without surgical procedures!

Rachel Streu, MD
Portland Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Facial Sagging -- Fillers and Venus Legacy For Lift and Clear + Brilliant For Acne and Complexion

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I suggest you see a cosmetic dermatologist who can address both your issues which are texture/tone/acne and volume/sagging.  Both are treated with different procedures and you will need a combination approach for improvement.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

Saggy Face concerns

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi Clevelandmom, unfortunately, as we age, the fat in our cheeks shrinks and starts to sag. This can cause a tired, hollow appearance that makes us look older than we really are. From the pictures you have provided you look to have mild signs of aging in the cheeks and nasolabial folds. Dermal fillers such as Voluma or Radiesse would work well in your cheeks and Juvederm would provide a nice effect in the nasolabial folds. Seek out an experienced facial plastic surgeon who can give you options.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.