Is it okay to get breast augmentation about 5 weeks before moving to a new house?!

So my boyfriend and I are moving to a new house in June. Originally we were going to move before that and I was going to do surgery after the move but now that its been pushed back to June, I'd like to get surgery before moving, if possible. The doctor has an available appointment April 26th but I'm concerned that wont allow enough time after surgery to heal if we're moving the first week of June. Any advice or suggestions?!? Itll be about 5 weeks from surgery to moving date. HELP please!

This brings back memories!
I had a patient who moved 6 weeks after her breast augmentation. She didn't tell me she was moving. She lifted her TV with a friend and it fell on her chest. One of her implants broke and began to leak. I had to re-operate on her and replace her implant.

Don't do anything!!

Gary Horndeski M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Better to wait

Moving can be quite physically strenuous, even if you hire movers to do all the packing and lifting for you. At 5 weeks, I wouldn’t recommend lifting anything more than a couple of pounds. (Usually, 6 weeks is safer to start lifting.) You should ask your surgeon what they think.

At 5 weeks post operative you should be pretty well healed. You can always communicate with your surgeon as well once you have moved via phone or email. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast implants before a move

Hi There,
sure, you can get a breast augmentation 5 weeks before a move.
as long as you just point with a finger what to pack and delegate it all since we do not allow any heavy lifting/exercise for 3 weeks post-op for our patients.
if not, then you should re-think your priorities and schedule.
good luck,
F. Mussat

Florence Mussat, MD

BA Surgery and Moving

Thank you for your question. This may be a good opportunity for you to get out of any labor associated with the move :) It is best to discuss with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon his/her specific recommendations as far as return to activity. The recovery after BA surgery varies widely from patient to patient as well as their level of discomfort during this time. Generally, the first 4-7 days are reserved for rest and overall recovery, and after that patients can slowly work their way back with gradual low risk activities. I prefer to wait at least 6-8 weeks for repetitive upper body lifting/movements and arm use so that the muscles, skin incisions and breast tissues have had adequate time to heal and settle before being stressed. The recovery routine will best be determined by your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon so be sure to touch base with him/her on their specific recommendations.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Moving?

Thank you for your question. I suggest waiting four to six weeks before returning to strenuous physical activity. It is not a good idea to lift heavy boxes which puts strain on your chest muscles and incision lines. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding implant massage and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

You cannot move any of the boxes or unpack

As long as you don't move any boxes!  After breast implant surgery, I advise the patients to take one week off from work. At that point we take out their stitches and teach them the implant massage technique. We suggest 5 times per day with the massage and no bra for one month. The patients may return to work, but may not engage in any strenuous activity. At one month, the patients start to wear a soft cup bra with no underwire and can start low impact cardio. At two months they can wear an underwire bra and engage in more strenuous physical activity. Breast massage continues forever, although only once per day.

Moving Into Your New House Soon After a Breast Augmentation

Perhaps these guidelines will help plan your move accordingly.
You make take gentle walks within a few days following your #surgery. Light #activity may be started 7-10 days after surgery.
You should avoid heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks.
You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or discomfort.
#Aerobic exercise such as running, will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result.
Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Once you begin #exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush it because it may require the full 6 weeks before you can do any upper body work-outs, yoga, etc.
It is always recommended to call and see your surgeon to discuss your healing concerns.

Timing of breast augmentation and heavy exertion

Generally I advise patients to avoid strenuous exercise for 5-6 weeks post op.  Another concern may be how much lifting will be involved in packing before the move?  I would suggest that you postpone your surgery until after your move.  Best wishes

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Timing of a move after breast implants

That's probably a better question for your plastic surgeon but I can tell you what I would tell my patients. I like them to have six weeks to heal before any type of vigorous muscle activity over a long period of time such as what one might experience doing the move themselves. I hope this is helpful and good luck with your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS