Coolsculpting on upper arms available?

Is cool sculpting available for upper arms?

CoolSculpting and the upper arms

Thank you for your question.  We have had a very good experience with CoolSculpting in this area.  It is a very nice way to get rid of the fat in that particular area of the body.  We have not had an issue with extra hanging skin afterward.  I would suggest that you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your geographic area of choice as he/she can best speak if you are a candidate for CoolSculpting vs. Brachioplasty, (arm lift). Good places to look are the ASPS or ASAPS websites.            

It's Available, But Results Can Vary

That's a great question. Usually the issue with arms is not fat but an excess of skin that is present. A brachioplasty, or arm lift, is really the correct treatment in these cases because it will address both the skin and fat. The downside is that it is a fairly lengthy operation and will leave potentially unsightly scars that can't be covered. Patients want to have the operation because they feel self-conscious wearing short sleeved shirts ... but then they still don't wear them after the operation because they don't like the scars. Often, liposuction is performed, but again, it is an operation with downtime. So CoolSculpting can be performed, but the results are not predictable because the skin contracture is variable. I have had great success with CoolSculpting on some patients, and others have obtained marginal results. I prefer to use the CoolSmooth applicator for treatment in this area. Thanks for your question.

Coolsculpting can be done in the arms.

Coolsculpting can be done in the arms. However, arm issues usually include skin laxity as well as excess fat. Therefore, fat busting might not be the only treatment necessary for improvement. These issues can be well discussed with you by your plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

CoolSculpting can be used on arms in right candidate

CoolSculpting is not FDA-cleared for use on the upper arms be can be done effectively on the upper arms in the right candidate by an experienced doctor. We have seen great results from upper arm CoolSculpting at my practice. However, it is important that you are a good candidate for it, and that you have it done by someone with experience using it in this area. I recommend visiting a board-certified dermatologist for an in person evaluation to see if you are a candidate.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting for upper arms

Coolsculpting is available for upper arms and can give a nice result.  Make a consultation with a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to determine if you are a candidate.

Lisa Airan, MD

CoolSculpting for Arms

Dear mrs-cgf:

CoolSculpting (CS) is tried and true in fat reduction.

CS does not advertise skin tightening but in certain areas of the body such as the back and flanks, CS does stimulate enough inflammation to shrink the skin around the loss of fat rather than loosen or hang.  

I have yet to be convinced of any current or past technology that claims skin tightening. Occasionally you will see some immediate shrinkage but lack of permanent collagen stimulated production will last less than 3 months.

We have had and performed CS of the upper arms for several patients who have been elated with their results. Their expectations where simply to fit their arms in commercial shirt sleeves.

If you wish for more contouring, liposuction is the way to go. If you have hanging skin, consider a arm tuck with the scar in the armpit or a traditional arm lift (brachioplasty).

Please consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who performs all of these options for proper evaluation and recommendations. 

I wish you the best! Happy Holidays!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting for reduction of fat of the upper arms

Coolsculpting of the upper outer arms has been done for years with good results by physicians as an off-label procedure.  The curved applicators have been used, but also with the development of the CoolFit applicator, which is flat, many physicians have been able to use this with good results on their patients.  Sometimes there is a numbness of the forearm that can develop temporarily. I am not aware of these cases  having become permanent.
Other cases can be treated by liposuction or ThermiTight. Both of the latter two treatments reduce fat.  If a patient has loose crepy sagging skin, then an arm lift might be indicated, but many object to the scar that results from this surgical procedure, whether it is the scar that lies lengthwise along the back of the arm, or the scar that initially hides in the underarm, but may spread over time.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice. The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Absolutely

Coolsculpting of the upper arms is awesome.  With that said, many patients think it will work on skin... it doesn't.  It will reduce fatty arms, but is not a treatment for sagging skin.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Coolsculpting and arms

Coolsculpting and the arms works very well. You need to find someone very experienced with this technique to get the best results.

CoolSculpting On Upper Arms

CoolSculpting can be done on the upper arms with good results in the appropriate candidates. However, not everyone is a suitable candidate for the treatment and often a minimum of 2 rounds is needed for optimal results. Find a physician who has experience in treating the arms. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon