I've been wanting BA surgery for 3 years and I'm 20. Will I need BA more than once?

All I dream about is having a BA done day in day out but people say that once getting a BA I will need it done about 4 times through out my life and an uplift later? will this cause bad scaring or can I keep them for up to 10 - 20 years?

Repeat Surgery

Thank you for your question. it is impossible to determine how many breast surgeries you will need in the coming years as there are several factors that need to be considered such as:
 Capsular Contracture
 Rupture of the Impant(s)
 Assymetry
 Pregnancy/ Breast Feeding
 Age of the Implants

I suggest that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the pros and cons associated with breast augmentation and anticipated results. Many patients do find that they are very happy with their choice to have breast augmentation for several years and future surgeries are really going to be dependent on each individual.

Good luck!

Katy Plastic Surgeon

Will I need more than 1 breast surgery?

Thank you for your question.  Yes you most definitely will need more than 1 breast surgery throughout your life.  It is recommended by the FDA to have your implants replaced every 10-15 years, which is the life of the implants, to avoid complications.  

You will need to have your implants replaced throughout your life.  Whether or not you will need an uplift down the road cannot be determined at this point.  

If you would like more information regarding breast augmentation you can download a free copy of my breast augmentation planner at ABetterBreast.com.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants

Unfortunately, breast implants are not permanent and someone young will likely end up having several surgeries over time whether because your anatomy has changed with pregnancy or weight changes or complications related to an augmentation. The satisfaction rate for an augmentation is still incredibly high despite this but it is good to know what you are getting into. Best of luck

Josh Olson MD

Hi and thanks for your question. No one can really predict how many operations you might need. It is unlikely that you will need multiple operations as you describe. See a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Good luck.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Will I need BA more than once?

That's a very important question to ask. Surgeons make it clear to patients before breast augmentation surgery, that there will always be one or more surgeries in their future and we never expect breast implants to last anywhere close to a lifetime. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

BA's in lifetime

Thank you for your question. No one can tell you how many times you will need augmentation surgery. As your age, gain weight and have children your breast will change. This may cause you to consider a revision. Many patients are able to maintain their augmentation for 10-20 years. 

Best wishes 

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Additional surgeries after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  It's hard to predict how many breast surgeries that you will have in your lifetime b/c of multiple variables.  There is a common misconception that implants need to be
exchanged every 10 years. This is not
true! There is no expiration date.  A rough estimate of overall implant failure
would be 1% per year. If there is
nothing wrong with your implant, there is no need to change your implant. However, reasons to have your implant
exchanged include implant rupture (silicone) or deflation (saline), capsular
contracture or desire to change the size.  Also, as you get older and go through pregnancy / breastfeeding, your breast tissue will become more deflated and tend to sag, possibly requiring a breast lift or tightening (mastopexy).  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS