Can goretex be placed over ear cartilage in dorsum safely? Since you use less goretex is chance of infection decreased? (photo)

I had rhino 2mo ago (ear & septum cartilage to build bridge) and ear cartilage to to tip. The PS said I ran out of cartilage bc I have small ears & AA nose (flat bridge). I'm not 100% happy because my bridge is still pretty low and missing definition along the sides, and the tip is not as projected and as a result the nostrils are still kind of wide. I want to know if it is ok to put goretex over cartilage in dorsum and since you're using less goretex to get the height are there decreased risks?

Goretex in rhinoplasty

Goretex is used in rhinoplasty, but it is also found in shoes.  Strange, isn't it?  I say that in jest but to make a point.  Many people have started to steer clear of goretex due to associated complications.   Rib cartilage, while not perfect, offers many benefits and is abundant.  Worth considering.

Revision rhinoplasty candidate with Gore-Tex?

In our practice, we do not recommend Gore-Tex placement in the nose, since it can become infected. Revision rhinoplasty is one of the most difficult procedures to perform correctly in the entire field of cosmetic surgery, so it's important have all of your operative reports along with an-person examination. The nose is a three-dimensional structure, so more than one photograph is required. It's also important to wait at least one year before electing to undergo a revision. 

Gortex for bridge augmentation

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. In theory, the less gortex you use, the less risk you have of it becoming infected. However, in my experience the part of gortex that tends to get infected over the bridge is the most superficial part usually after trauma (recently I had a patient who fell 10 years after her rhinoplasty and her implant became infected). So I do think you would still have that risk and would need to be comfortable with that risk going in. If the implant gets infected if often needs to be removed and replaced. 

Other options that use your own tissue are using diced cartilage from both ears wrapped on your tissue from the scalp (we called it "diced cartilage fascia graft"), or rib graft (either yours or donated).

I do think your plastic surgeon is correct that for the results you are looking for you will want to consider additional grafting material than the septum and one ear, but something both ears might be sufficient.

I hope this helps you make a decision! 

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Revision

Do not use Gortex because there are too many potential problems.   You may well consider a silicone implant for your dorsum.    This may help tip projection also.    Rib cartilage is also a consideration but requires a rib graft with some scaring and additional surgery and expense.  My Best,  Dr Commons

Less Risk of Infection When Less Gortex is Used in Nose?

I'm not aware of an studies that demonstrate that the risk of infection is related to the amount of Gortex used. My preference would be to use your own cartilage even if it meant going to the ribs, rather than acept the added risk of using Gortex. I definitely would not used synthetics in your tip to increase projection.

Goretex in nose

Hi girlmeetsnose,

Thanks for your question. To be frank, I (and I would bet the vast majority of other experienced rhinoplasty surgeons would strongly agree) think that placing goretex in the nose is a bad idea. There is a chance that it will work and be just fine. However, there is also a relatively large probability of the implant getting infected and/or extruding. This risk might be acceptable if there were no other good alternatives, but there are other good alternatives, like rib cartilage, for example, that are much less likely to cause problems. 

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon