I'm worried about the healing. I just had gynecomastia surgery and would like some advice.

On the bottom of my left nipple (where one incision was made), some area is protruding. I feel like the incision is not closing well. It hurts a little bit. Please help.

Healing Concerns Post Gynecomastia Surgery

Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery.
Also, your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Healing after Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi Kobato,
Thanks for the post. Without a photo it is difficult to advise you. I recommend reposting with a photo or following up with your plastic surgeon.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Congratulations on having undergone the surgery to correct gynecomastia. Given your concerns, it sounds like a follow with your plastic surgeon is definitely indicated. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Although, it is not unusual to have some tenderness and swelling around the area of the incision following gynecomastia surgery, if there is any concern you should let your surgeon know.  they may want to see you back sooner than previously scheduled.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Worried about healing after gynecomastia surgery

Thank you for your question. I can not comment without seeing a picture. Please call your PS and discuss your concerns and follow his/her instructions.

Gynecomastia

It's really impossible to have any idea of what's going on without seeing it. Please post some pictures. Thanks. 

Terry E. Restivo, DO
Napa Physician