I'm 6 weeks post op. I had a tummy tuck and 675 saline implants. My left breast still has not dropped. What can I do?

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Postop care

Try to be patient, it can take up to 3 months for implants to drop in their pocket. I would ask your surgeon if there is anything you can do (i.e. massage) that will get the implant to drop sooner in the breast.

Mark Deutsch, MD

High implant

Thanks for your question.  6 weeks is still early in the recovery process.  It can take a few months for an implant to drop.  Occasionally, the capsule around the implant will form too high not allowing the implant to drop.  If that is the case, you would need an additional surgery to lower the implant.  I give it a full 6 months before entertaining such a surgery, as the implant may be stubborn in the beginning, but eventually falls into place. I have my patients perform different massage exercises until the implants fall.  I suggest you discuss your concerns with your surgeon, but certainly too early to think that it is not going to fall.  Good luck!

Jeffrey Umansky, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

My left breast still has not dropped. What can I do?

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided information as well. without pictures is hard to give you a consultation, but is to soon to judge and wait for final results, implants last from 3 to 6 months to settle. I recommend to be patient and to talk with your PS about your concerns, because he knows the best your medical history. Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

6 weeks post op left implant not dropped yet

Thank you for your question. It is impossible to answer your question without knowing the specifics of your case or see any pictures. My best advice to you is voice your concerns to your surgeon, follow their instructions and be patient. Sometimes it takes several more months for everything to settle. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

It can take 6 months or longer for the implants to fully heal and be in the proper position. It is normal that the two breasts don't heal at the same pace. There is a strap your PS can give you to wear that can speed up the process. Try to be patient. 

6 Weeks Post-Op with Breast Healing

Take a note of the following key points in breast implant healing provided to my patients. 

ASSYMETRY: The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

Hopefully the healing process is improving for you, but if you find you are concerned about the placement and shape of your implants as they heal it would be best to visit your surgeon. The are can be examined to help determine how far along you are in the healing process and make sure that everything is progressing well.

6 wks post-op, implant hasn't dropped

This is a fairly large saline implant, which means it has some weight to it and I think with time it will drop. I think when a tummy tuck is done at the same time, you don't keep your shoulders back as well and may be favoring your chest more than if you just had an augmentation. As always, it would be best to check with your plastic surgeon. A few exercises to help loosen up your shoulders may help the implant drop. Good luck but I have a feeling you will be fine.

Karen Quigley, MD

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question and photos. Congratulations on your recent surgery. You are still early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Mommy make-over - one implant has not dropped

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck and breast implants.

• You should let your surgeon know and ask her/his advice.
  • I tell my patients to go bra-less - gravity will often pull an implant down.
  • If it does not settle in 3 - 6 months, you may need a revision to get it to settle in place.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS