How does ultrashape work? Is there much discomfort after the procedure?

They tell me with ultra-shape you lose fat from ultrasound? Can I ask how does ultra-shape work, and is there a lot or slight discomfort after the procedure?

Discomfort after Ultrashape

These are great questions.Ultrashape works by using ultrasonic beams to rupture the fat cells in a targeted area and then the contents of the fat cells can be removed naturally through the body.In my experience, patients do not feel much discomfort during or after the procedure has been completed.I hope this helps clear things up a bit.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

How Ultrashape works

Thanks for your inquiry  .In Ultrashape, there is not much discomfort after the procedure and most patients do not feel any discomfort during the procedure either.It works by rupturing fat cells with ultrasonic beams, thereby reducing the area.I hope this helps.

Burton M. Sundin, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

UltraShape is a fat-melting treatment with no downtime and no pain. There is no damage to the surrounding skin or tissues, the treatment is completely painless and comfortable. It works by sending ultrasound energy (not thermal energy or heat, which is the technique used by many lasers) to targeted fat within the subcutaneous layer, which lies deep in the skin. There, this ultrasound energy vibrates or shakes the fat cells until they fall apart and are liquefied, thereby selectively destroying these fat cells. The disintegrated fat cells then pass through the liver. So your body processes it just like you ate a fatty meal, and it’s excreted naturally as waste. It truly is a groundbreaking FDA-approved body-contouring procedure. Long-term results can be maintained (provided patients stick to their healthy diet and exercise regimen).

The area you wish to work on is typically done in three sessions, spaced two weeks apart. Each session takes about an hour. Not everyone is a candidate. Please have a consultation with a board-certified doctor and find out if this treatment is right for you.

Dennis Gross, MD

How does Ultrashape work?

Thank you for your question. Ultrashape uses high intensity focused ultrasound waves to "shake" targeted fat cells so hard that they burst open.  This releases their fatty contents so that the body can metabolize that fat for energy.  The results after a series of treatments are that the repeatedly targeted body sites will shrink in size and circumference. The sound waves from Ultrashape are selective for fat cells only, so surrounding tissues are not affected and the procedure is painless, safe, and inflammation free. Not everyone is an ideal candidate for this procedure, so be sure to consult with your physician operator to see if Ultrashape is right for you. Best of luck to you!

Alix J. Charles, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon