What type of doctor should I use for a tooth extraction with a Bone Graft?

My DDS does not perform extractions and bone grafts and has referred me to a dentist who specializes in periodontics. Why wasn't I referred to an oral surgeon? What would be the difference and is one better trained than the other the do this? It is for my last lower molar #31. I plan on having an implant placed after this is healed.

Extractions and bone grafting

Often dentists who don't have experience with extractions and grafting utilize the skills of an oral surgeon or a periodontist. Either has training to do the procedures that you were recommended. Its important to note that general dentists also can have training in the same procedures. Ultimately your best results will be from the hands of a skilled provider.

Los Angeles Dentist