What type of doctor should I use for a tooth extraction with a Bone Graft?

My DDS does not perform extractions and bone grafts and has referred me to a dentist who specializes in periodontics. Why wasn't I referred to an oral surgeon? What would be the difference and is one better trained than the other the do this? It is for my last lower molar #31. I plan on having an implant placed after this is healed.

Doctor Answers 1

Extractions and bone grafting

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Often dentists who don't have experience with extractions and grafting utilize the skills of an oral surgeon or a periodontist. Either has training to do the procedures that you were recommended. Its important to note that general dentists also can have training in the same procedures. Ultimately your best results will be from the hands of a skilled provider.

All the best,

Los Angeles Dentist
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.