What does Sculptra do to chin if injected at the back of chin upward?

I had a doctor who injected Sculptra with needle pointing straight up right behind my chin. I was wondering if that is going to make my chin longer with tip of chin growing downward, or is it going to bring my chin forward (fuller chin) with no change to the length of the chin?

Sculptra injections in Santa Monica

Sculptra injections can enhance vertical and horizontal dimensions of the chin. I have seen some very positive results with Sculptra in the injections. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Chin changes with Sculptra versus other fillers

Dear Ivy40879:

There are several different types of fillers including:
  • Hyaluronic acid gel fillers which attract water and generate a mild inflammatory response for collagen formation.
  • Radiesse, a paste like filler which creates a mild inflammatory response to form collagen but is primarily inert and is best used to add bone volume and shape.
  • Sculptra is in the FDA filler category but works by stimulating a repair response of the tissues it is injected in close proximity to. For example:
    • if placed on bone, it will stimulate bone formation
    • if placed under the skin at various depths, it will create collagen and structural molecules to firm the tissues injected.
In all cases, there is a "tug-of-war" activity between tissue formation and tissue breakdown so your question may or may not occur with Sculptra injection to generate the specific chin bone growth you are seeking. You can certainly appreciate that this is an advanced technique and should choose your injectors very carefully!

I do use it for this type of activity but it is a very slow process. You may wish to use Radiesse, an chin implant or bone surgery to achieve a faster and more reliable result. 

Please seek a skilled and talented, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to  discuss these and other option depending on his or her findings.

I hope this is helpful. I wish you the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Sculptra and the Chin

Sculptra is a great injection to produce more collagen in a given area.  If your physician placed Scuptra there it should produce more collagen in that area.  Best, Dr. Green

Sculptra

Injecting Sculptra the way you describe is unlikely to make your chin longer. It will add some general fullness in the area that was treated.

Sculptra On Chin

Sculptra in this area works to improve the bone below that retracts and resorbs as we age.  It doesn't work to project the chin like immediate fillers (ie voluma, radiesse etc).  Best, Dr. Emer.

Sculptra on chin

From your description and the treatment record you provided, I believe the Sculptra treatment you had to your chin would bring your chin slightly forward but not downward.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon