Rhinoplasty with keloid scars?

For a long time I have wanted to get a bridge reduction, mainly for cosmetic reasons. But I always dismissed the thought because all of my scars are keloid scars. A few days ago I read that for people who do get keloid scars that they are very rare with rhinoplastys. Is it something that I would have to worry about?

Zero Concern of Keloid with CLOSED SCARLESS RHINOPLASTY

Zero Concern of Keloid with Closed Scarless Rhinoplasty where all the incisions are made inside the mucosal tissue in the nose (no cuts on the skin - no risk of scarring)!

Consult a board certified Closed Scarless Rhinoplasty surgeon whose 100% surgical practice is closed scarless rhinoplasty. 

All the best!

Keloid or hypertrophic scars

True keloids develop scar tissue that grows beyond the area of injury and invades the surrounding normal skin--a rare condition.  Hypertrophic scars are common in many people and usually depend upon the body site as to how severe it can be.  The nose is privileged like eyelids.  Part of this is the thin nature of the skin but also due to the fact that there should be no tension on the incision which is part of the equation in dealing with hypertrophic scars.  If you are diagnosed by biopsy of being a true keloid former it would be my advice not to have rhinoplasty.  If they are just hypertrophic you are probably okay to proceed..

R. Laurence Berkowitz, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Closed rhinoplasty for patients with keloid scars

Closed rhinoplasty approach for patients places all of the incisions on the inside of the nose, so there would be no keloid scar  potential. Look for a surgeon who specializes in closed rhinoplasty.

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. There is very little risk for a keloid after a rhinoplasty, even in patients who typically form keloids.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty and keloids

Rhinoplasty is a surgery to change the shape of your nose for breathing or appearance.

Even in patients with a tendency for keloids forming on the face: ear, neck, the nose seems to be spared. There is no guarantee of no scar issues. Any incisions need to be closed carefully and monitored as you heal. Steroid injections can help if hypertrophic scars appear. It's important to discuss this issue with your surgeon before surgery. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Keloids and rhinoplasty

Keloid scars are exceeding rare after rhinoplasty.  I have never seen one in nearly 30 years of performing rhinoplasties, especially since half of my noses that I do are revisions of other surgeons' problems.  Additionally, many patients who have been told they have keloids actually have hypertrophic scarring which won't impact a properly done rhinoplasty.  Moreover, the majority of rhinoplasties can be done with a closed technique eliminating any external scars.  Seek out an appointment with a rhinoplasty expert.  Best wishes.

David Alessi, MD

Keloid and hypertrophic scars are unusual with rhinoplasty scars

Because of the ideal position of open rhinoplasty scars, which are closed under no tension, thickened, hypertrophic or even keloid type scars are very unusual with rhinoplasty surgery for all skin types.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Concerned about Keloid Formation after Rhinoplasty

In over 35 years of rhinoplasty surgery I've never seen a keloid after rhinoplasty even in patients who have experienced this on the parts of their body. I cannot say this will never happen but I would do a rhinoplasty on a patient like yourself using either the open (with an incision between the nostrils) or the closed techniques where all the incisions are inside the nose. If you need to have the base of your nose narrowed I would place the incision inside the nose, not at the edge of the nostrils where these incisions can be problematic even in patients without a tendency to keloid. 

Rhinoplasty with keloid scars?

Dear liv883

Most rhinoplasties can be done via a closed approach which means no outside incisions and therefore no true risk of keloids. Even if you have an open approach, you are highly unlikely to get a keloid scar of your nose. Look for an experienced Plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, see more than one consult and make a well informed decision.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon