How do I know if procedure will be done by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon?

I have an appointment on Thurs. to have Coolsculpt done on upper and lower abdomen. Is there anything I should check on place doing this on me? Should I request that they are Board Certified Plastic Surgeons? Anywhere I can look online to see if any complaints? How can I tell if they are a reputable place?

Cool sculpting and board certified plastic surgeon

In my practice I have 3 RN's who do the assessments and treatments. They have all been RN's in my office for over 10 years prior to providing this treatment. I trust them. They have attended cool sculpt university and are trained and certified. They are educated to know who is a candidate and who should see a physician for surgical options. I feel like in your area go somewhere that is overseen by a BC PS but it is highly unlikely it's performed by the MD. I would be leary of a practice without physician supervision or someone who can't offer surgery and thus offers this to all. It is a great product but not for everyone. Best of Luck!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting and Certified Practice

You can certainly look on the Coolsculpting web site to see if the physician is certified and trained by Coolsculpting.  Best, Dr. Green

Board Certified Plastic Surgeons

Thank you very much for your question. When it comes to your body, finding a board certified plastic surgeon is extremely important. If you cannot locate credentials on a surgeon’s website, ask for this information during your consultation. CoolSculpting, like any other aesthetic procedure, should be performed by an experienced, trained provider. Choosing a board certified plastic surgeon is one way to ensure that his staff will have the proper training, experience, and credentials for a safe procedure. Ideally, your plastic surgeon will have on staff CoolSculpting providers that have attended CoolSculpting University. To find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, go to the American Board of Plastic Surgery or the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

CoolSculpting, SculpSure and HI DEF 4D CONTOURING by Board-Certified Dermatologists

Noninvasive body treatments are typically performed by the staff at the office.  If you want this done specifically by the MD it will cost you more and I suggest you speak to the physician when you do a consult.  Coolsculpting
needs multiple treatments and may still have uneven results unless a numerous treatments are done combined with another device like VANQUISH that does wide area treatment.  You must be the right candidate for this treatment for improvement. If you
want full contouring and evenness, I would consider a hi definition
procedure with VASER 4D contouring. During your
consult, ask who will be doing your procedure.
Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

How to choose a CoolSculpting physcian

When you are trying to choose a practice to perform your CoolSculpting procedures, do your research and don't be afraid to ask questions.  Although you don't have to be a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to perform CoolSculpting, consider that during your consultation, the physician should be helping you determine which of many body sculpting procedures would work best for you.  Plastic Surgeons also perform tummy tucks and liposuction that many other types of board certified physicians don't perform.  Always ask to see photos of patients treated by that physician, and if you don't feel comfortable, get a second consultation.

Dana Coberly, MD

Board Certification of Doctor

I think that you are thinking along the correct lines.  Being a board certified plastic surgeon is not a prerequisite for CoolSculpting.  I think being a board certified physician that has been to Cool Sculpting University and does the treatments at their practice is much more important.  There are many places that have a physician overseeing the spa setting but not actually involved in the treatments.  I would want a physician that is involved in the decisions during the consult and one that is involved during the treatments.

Stephanie Martin, MD
Atlanta Orthopaedic Surgeon

Board certification of Doctor

Great question, ask your doctor which specialty they are board certified in. The core aesthetic specialties are dermatology and plastic surgery, including facial plastic and oculoplastic. Ask if the doctor will personally perform the procedure or who will be doing it. FYI, Coolsculpting was invented by dermatologists. In my office I personally perform every single Coolsculpting procedure.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD, PhD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Well it is concerning that it is difficult for you to determine this before your procedure.  It should be clearly stated who the Plastic Surgeons are involved in the practice.

Did you already have a consultation before booking the treatment? How do you know if you are truly  a candidate? The person who performs the treatment is different in each office. When you first meet your provider you can ask for the doctor to see you as well.

Robert G. Aycock, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting Center

Ensure that the facility is a Certified Coolsculpting Center, and inquire about the involvement of the board certified plastic surgeon in the process. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS