Praying for a miracle! I'm looking for a tummy tuck with muscle repair? (Photos)

I had the gastric sleeve 15 months ago. I am looking to get my first round would be a tummy tuck with muscle repair, lips to the flanks, waist and back, and also a BBl. I've lost 128 pounds so far. I know weigh 195 and I am 5'4. I'm planning on going to Dominican Republic for the surgery. Thank you in advance for the answers.

Praying for a Miracle...TT with Muscle Repair?

Thank you for your question, and congratulations on your successful weight loss. You should see some very nice changes following the combined abdominoplasty and breast lift procedures. My concern would be your decision to go out of country to have the procedure, unless your bariatric surgeon and family support reside in that location. As with any cosmetic surgery, it's all great unless you have a major complication that requires extended treatment or correction. I think that it is very important to have your bariatric surgeon and/or primary care physician involved in your pre-operative preparation and post-surgical recovery. I hope that you will consider this carefully before proceeding. Best of luck to you.

Congratulations on your weight loss

but unfortunately, what you have will occur.  I wouldn't waste much time or dollars on liposuction of your flanks and back as you simply have excess skin and need it excised.  Total body lift would address your tummy, back side and buttock all at the same time.  Hope it goes well in the DR and you get the results you want.  You should know it may be challenging to find a surgeon here to assume your care but you will be paying per visit then and ethical surgeons will gladly see you.

Curtis Wong, MD

Praying for a miracle! I'm looking for a tummy tuck with muscle repair?

Congratulations on your weight loss. You need to make sure that you get to your goal weight prior to undergoing body contouring surgery. This will give you the best chance of having long-lasting results.I would be very cautious of going abroad for a combination of procedure such as this. I understand the drive to decrease costs by going abroad. I'm sure that most of the time things are fine, however I've personally cared for patients who have had major complications abroad. Make sure you understand the personal and financial risks.

Tummy Tuck - BBL and Tummy Tuck?

Thank you for your question. I do not think it is a good idea to have a tummy tuck and BBL at the same time. I believe you will have better results if you stage the procedures. First do liposuction to harvest fat from the hips, flanks, thighs, and abdomen. This fat can be used for the BBL. Once you have recovered from Stage 1, a tummy tuck can be performed. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon who commonly performs these procedures. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work. Hope this helps and good luck.

Most plastic surgeons would have several concerns with what you are planning.   Combination procedures may be performed together. Whether you are a reasonable candidate, however, for the combination of procedures you listed depends on your anatomy, the extent of the abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) , the complexity of the breast surgery, the amount of liposuction, volume of fat injection into the buttocks,, your medical history, medical clearance from your primary physician, realistic expectations of the outcome and an understanding of the pros and cons of the various procedures. Most patients prefer undergoing one anesthesia and one recovery period which is usually more cost effective, but many surgeons would prefer performing these procedures in 2 separate operations to diminish the potential for complications.

Having stated that, most ethical experienced surgeons would feel that the combination of procedures that you listed would be excessive to perform at the same time.

Safety should always be the main concern. It is generally recommended that the length of elective surgery be less than six hours. The procedures should be performed in an ambulatory facility that is accredited by one of the nationally recognized accrediting organizations like the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities (AAAASF) or if it is outside of the Unite States an international organization like the the American Association for Accreditation for Ambulatory Surgery Facilities International, (AAAASFI) or in a licensed hospital.  Having surgery at a reduced rate in a foreign country sounds appealing, but there are many concerns that you should consider. Generally, there is no preoperative direct discussion with the surgeon who is going to perform the surgery in order to establish any reasonable doctor/patient relationship. There are often language barriers that can interfere with your care. Even if your surgeon speaks English, the ancillary personnel like the nurses and the anesthesia provider who are involved in your care, may not. The quality of hospitals outside of the U.S. varies tremendously. Some are accredited and inspected, others are not. Even if the hospital has reasonable facilities and the surgeon has training, which may not be up to the quality of training of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, the quality of the nurses and others involved in your care may be very different from that in the United States. They may have little or no formal medical education, training or credentialing.

There is usually little follow-up care. In addition, the general sanitary conditions often increase the risk of infections, including some that are generally rare in this country.

There are  also major potential problems that may occur with traveling long distances just before and after surgery, like dehydration and fatigue, but more importantly complications including clots in the legs called deep venous thrombosis and clots to the lung which may be life threatening.

In most countries, if a problem develops, you will have little legal recourse and no ability to file a complaint either against the hospital or about the surgeon. If complications.,develop after you return home, it may be difficult or impossible to obtain care from your local physicians. If problems do occur, the cost of subsequent care can be far greater than the reduced cost of the original surgery. While there are well-trained physicians in many other countries, I would suggest that you travel for pleasure or business and have your surgery closer to home.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

You can get dramatic improvement with the extended tummy tuck. Before going to the DR be sure you read about all the patients coming back from there with massive infections that take months to clear not to mention medical bills that are more than the cost of a house. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD