Post op care; clitoral pexy/hood reduction/labial resurfacing. Any suggestions?

I had a clitoral lift and clitoral hood reduction yesterday. Along with labial resurfacing. Great news is that I have absolutely no pain! So not taking pain killers/numbing cream. Just antibiotics, arnica and occasional icing. Have bought various creams; estrace, silver sulfadiazine, collagen, Dermaplast. Should I just massage these in? I don't want to break down any stitches but equally want to soften scars. Really appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Postop care for your scars should be given by your surgeon

The first instruction I give when counseling patients prior to surgery is not to consult the internet for instructions after surgery. The second instruction I give is don't put any garbage on your scars and you will heal just fine. If your surgeon failed to instruct you or your instructions are lost, contact your surgeon. That said, common sense dictates that you don't massage your scars while they are too weak to withstand massage. Call your surgeon.

What do I do for post-op care after Labia and Hood reduction surgery?

Dear Francis2,

Thank you for writing in with your question and congratulations on your surgery!  The majority of surgeons have their own recommendations for how you should be taking care of your surgical site during the post-op healing period.  Please call your surgeon for specific instructions and don't do anything that s/he does not recommend as that may negatively impact the healing process.

Dermaplast spray is a great product for both pain relief and is anti-bacterial (if it is the red cap, not the blue cap spray, which is just numbing) and is sprayed on at least 6 inches from the incision site.  I do recommend this for my patients during the first 2 weeks after surgery but it does not require touching the surgical site at all.  Check with your doctor if this is ok for you to use as well.

I hope this information is helpful and best wishes for an uneventful recovery.

Sincerely,

Dr. Troy Robbin Hailparn

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

Your surgeon's recommendations

Please speak with your surgeon's office on post operative care. It find it hard to believe that you received nothing  from the office or surgeon on this. We hand out written and give oral instruction on care and activity after every operation.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Post op care

I agree with Dr Ghozland below..... this should be at the discretion of your physician and surgeon

John R Miklos MD

Post op Care

Very happy to hear that you are feeling fantastic post surgery. However post instructions should be given by your surgeon and therefore my recommendation is for you to make sure to follow their instructions

ASK YOUR OWN SURGEON for specific questions re: what to massage into your incision

Glad your surgery went well; hope it accomplishes long-term what you wish. It would be helpful for us to have your before and after photos if you wish us to help you. Otherwise, please direct your question to the doc who operated on you. He or she is the one who should be answering your question. Basically rule of thumb however is to keep your hands off fresh incisions...

Michael P Goodman MD

Thank you for sharing your question and experience and congratulations on your surgery!  Glad to hear that your pain has been minimal. Each surgeon will have their own recommendation as to wound care following surgery as they know the full details of your procedure.  Because of the extent of surgery you had performed I would reach out to them directly with regard to placement of these creams and ointments.  I would prefer use of a hypoallergenic ointment for the first couple of weeks after surgery to ensure good initiation of scar healing before any aggressive attempt at scar improvement.  Hope this helps.