Does the nose always change a great deal over a year? I'm 7 wks post-op, and I like my results already. (Photo)

Through my research, I read it takes a year to see final results. This is said in a positive way to lessen post op anxiety. Due to this, I expected to not love my intial results, lol. However, I'm 7 wks postop and pleased. Now, I wonder will I not like it in a year? Mine was an open approach with tip work, a fascia graft and rasping. I have thin skin. How much will my nose change in a year? Thank you in advance for your wisdom. I didn't run into this question during my research and I'm curious

Swelling will continue to go down

Thank for the great photos and the question. It is true that it can take years for all of the swelling and skin contraction to occur after rhinoplasty. If you're only 7 weeks out, then you likely still have a fair amount of swelling left to go down. Looking at you're photos, it looks as though your tip is still swollen some. What you will notice is that as the swelling subsides, your nose will began to have more shape and definition to it. All of these changes are very very subtle. Be patient, it looks like you have a great result, and best of luck to you!

~Dr. Sieber

Relax, you have a great result.

The two biggest problems that can occur after rhinoplasty is recurrence of a deviation (which you didn't have) and supra tip swelling. If that occurs it won't show until at least 3 months, isn't very common and is easily corrected.

Donald W. Kress, MD, FACS
Frederick Plastic Surgeon

Nose changes

Thank you for your photos. It is difficult to predict how much a nose will change in the course of the year. This will vary for everyone depending on how much surgery was done to the nose and how quickly individuals heal. Generally speaking after 2-3 months, if you do not have significant swelling and your nose is still as straight as it was after the surgery, it will be unlikely that there will be any dramatic changes that will transform your look. You may develop more definition and sharpness to your nasal lines and contours, but I would rest assured that your nose will not suddenly look completely different at the one year mark. Hope this helps!!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Does the nose always change a great deal over a year?

Looks like you're getting an excellent result from your rhinoplasty.  It appears that all areas of your nose have mild swelling that will gradually disappear in the next 6-12 months giving subtle improvement in refinement.  I wouldn't anticipate any dramatic change so my suggestion is that you relax and enjoy your new nose.  Congratulations.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Thank you for your question and photos. If you like your nose already then keep the positive attitude and enjoy it. The changes that occur are subtle and a good rhinoplasty will give you a strong stable nose for a lifetime. Follow up with your surgeon as scheduled. Good luck

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon