What can be done for this nose? (photo)

What are the possible ways to improve the look of this nose??

Perhaps permanent nonsurgical rhinoplasty is appropriate.

Dear bernada in American Canyon:

Photos do not give us all the information we need. You need consultation with a superspecialist who does primarily nasal cosmetic surgery. Bring friends or family with you and prepare written questions. Do your homework before you go there. Be sure to review websites that are richest with before and after photos. Look at patient reviews.

At consultation, of course, you want to have computer imaging so you can see the predicted results of your surgeon in that doctor’s hands. That is extremely important. Without it the consultation has less value.

There are nonsurgical options available, temporary and permanent. Consider those. Ask the doctor about it. Keep doing your homework. You are wise to be looking at Realself.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Over 4,500 nasal procedures performed

Rhinoplasty Surgery to Improve your Nose

Dear bernada, The photographs above you have posted are somewhat limited in there views however from what I can see I would suggest reducing the dorsal hump, performing osteotomies to narrow the bridge and bring the bones together from the hump removal, and refining the tip. Seek consultation with some experts in the field of rhinoplasty have imaging performed to show you the proposed changes, review the surgeons before and after photographs to make sure the results are natural looking rhinoplasty procedures and then you will be set to make a decision. I have included a link below and video above of examples of how rewarding this procedure can be. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

What Can Be Done to Improve this Nose?

Your hump can be removed, the entire nose narrowed, and the tip refined. With these views I cannot be more specific but a full set of pictures as described on my website would be helpful.

Rhinoplasty for dorsal hump removal

The dorsal hump is composed of both bone and cartilage and it must be shaved down in order to remove it. Osteotomies will need to be performed and the nasal bones to close the open roof deformity created from the  hump removal. Thick skin, especially in the tip of the nose is an impediment to seeing a verified result in that area. For many examples and more information about dorsal hump removal, please see the link and the video below

Thank you for your question and pictures!  I see what may bother you regarding your nose, but as you may know, rhinoplasty and what can be done to improve your nose, depends on its relationship with the other features on your face.  If it's possible, resubmit your question with pictures that show your face from the frontal view (top of head to just below your adam's apple) and then a lateral view (side view).  The more information  you give, the more specific we can be in answering your question.  Thanks again!

Elbert T. Cheng, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for a more attractive nose?

I would need to see better photographs as described on my website in order to give a proper answer to your question. Otherwise I would just be guessing as to what would be needed in your specific nose. 

What can be done for this nose?

The appearance of your nose can be improved with an artistically performed rhinoplasty.What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an examination and discussion about desired outcome. No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose and whether it would be worthwhile.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on very limited two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Additional information about the procedure will help you decide if it is a procedure that you want to pursue.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla,California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. With good surgical technique, you could have an outstanding result. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD