Believe I lost a stitch. How do you think it's going to heal? (Photo)

How do you think it's going to heal?should I go get the stitch replace do you think the edges will soffin out..do it look like I will have lumps?what do you think of the stitch work?

Believe I lost a stitch. How do you think it's going to heal?

Occasionally sutures can prematurely come out after labiaplasty procedures. In these instances, the area will typically heal with no evidence of suture loss. As this point in time it would be important to continue local wound care and to follow up with your surgeon. With further evaluation they can determine any specific care that you may need to ensure proper healing long term.  As it appears you are fairly early in the healing phase, it will take some time to determine if you would need any revision of the area, so I would allow 3-6 months before considering any repeat surgical procedures. 

Labiaplasty

It is normal to be swollen at this stage of your healing.  If you chose a board certiefied plastic surgeon who specializes in labiaplasty you will not have to worry about your results.  Your surgeon will be sure to give you satisfactory results even if you require a revision.  You will have to wait several months before discussing a revision.

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Results

Thank you for your question.  Swelling is common after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  The final result will be seen after several months, which at that time one can evaluate if a secondary surgery would be recommended.  I would recommend contacting the surgeon who performed the original surgery to evaluate your current condition.  If you require a secondary procedure in the future, I would recommend an experienced genital surgeon even if that requires traveling.   

Best of luck.      

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Losing stitches after labiaplasty

is not uncommon but in most situations, unless appreciated immediately, must be allowed to heal on their own... and it will.  Your results look appropriate for your stage in healing and it will only get better.  Once healed,  you should be able to critique your results with your surgeon and pursue revisions if felt needed.

Curtis Wong, MD

Did I Lose a Stitch?

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks. It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months.

Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and the way in which your body heals.

Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful

Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the #vaginalregion such as certain exercise equipment and #sexualactivity.  It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks.

Generally, patients are able to walk comfortably within a few days and can return to work within a week.

I'm sorry to say that it is hard to see from your photo whether a stitch has been lost, but there does still appear to be swelling. If you are worried at all that a stitch is missing or that something is wrong you should have a follow-up with your surgeon to have the area checked to make sure everything is healing well.

I've lost a stitch! Will it look OK??

Looks OK from my observation. The swelling will subside and-yes- it will both softer & flatten. Not rarely a suture or 2 pop out, but if the surgery was done right (& yours appears secure), the suture line is bolstered from underneath with a second layer of sutures, so when you lose 1 or 2 the edges will heal perfectly well from underneath. If an incision opens in the first 36-48 hours after surgery it can be re-sutures, but after this time re-suturing will not work & you must wait for full healing, sometimes "..from underneath." It will take you a full 2-3 months before you will know the "final" outcome!

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Healing after labiaplasty

I think your healing process is going well. I do not see any major issues based on the pictures you provided. Please be patient. Usually it takes up to 6 wks to heal completely. 

Armen Kirakosyan, MD, FACOG, FACS
East Aurora Urogynecologist

It may heal with bumpy edges on labia and large hood

Looks like you are healing well with no infection, hematoma, or separation. There is still swelling present which will exaggerate the subtle asymmetry. Once swelling goes down you may be happy since I'm sure it's a marked improvement.

Your labia were approximated using a running stich, like a baseball stich, which results in the bumpy edges of your labia. This bumpy appearance to your labia won't go away. It also looks like too much labia were removed since the labia minora and majora appear to be one.

Your hood is swollen, but since too much labia minora were removed it will still look out of proportion and "top-heavy".

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Healing looks very good

Unfortunately the vagina is a moist environment and some minor healing irregularities are common early on. Be patient. It looks like your doctor did a nice job with good symmetry. Follow instructions and allow swelling to resolve. You should be happy with the result.

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs of your trim labiaplasty procedure.  I am sorry to hear of your lost stitch but it does not appear that it has caused your incision to open or separate and you should continue to heal well and without further difficulties.  As you still appear to be early in your healing, you likely have swelling that is affecting your long term results but once healed I would evaluate the contouring from your labia minora to your clitoral hood as well as any lumps that remain from the suture technique used.  If these two areas end up not bothering you, you need not do anything about them.  Hope this helps.