How long before I can have sex after a tummy tuck?

Restrictions on sexual activity after a tummy tuck

I recommend patients avoid all strenuous activity for up to 2 months following a tummy tuck. Patients may participate in sexual activity before this time keeping in mind the strenuous activity restrictions. This generally involves the woman taking a more cautious passive role. 

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Recovery after tummy tuck

After tummy tuck surgery, I advise the patients to take two weeks off from work. The patients may return to work, but may not engage in any strenuous activity. At two months, the patients start low impact cardio. At three months they can engage in more strenuous physical activity. If anything hurts or causes swelling, we ask them to back off somewhat. If you exercise or do some particular activity that results in pain or swelling you are doing too much for your personal recovery at that time.  Not everyone heals the same.  You need to make sure that you don’t cause more swelling.  Fighting the swelling or working through the pain will certainly backfire. I prefer the patients to stay in town for two weeks if they from more than 2-3 hours away.  I do not allow patients to fly before 2 to 3 weeks at the very minimum.

Recovery after tummy tuck

Permission for sex after tummy tucks

will vary by surgeon and how you are healing.  So its always best to ask your surgeon and when you do start up again, keep it on the calmer side.

Permission for sex after tummy tucks

It depends on how much swelling you have in your private area after the procedure but in general it should be safe after 3 weeks. Consult with your surgeon regarding his/her preference.

Sex after tummy tuck

Thank you for your inquiry, it all depends on how the patient is healing, however if your recovery is going well usually within 3-6 weeks post op. I suggest consulting your plastic surgeon. 

Ricardo Vega, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Sex after tummy tuck

Ricardo Vega, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Depends

It all depends on what kind of tummy tuck you have had and what was done and what kind of sexual activity you want to be involved in.  However, the general answer is 3 to 6 weeks of no sexual activity.  Best to ask your plastic surgeon.

Depends

Sex after Tummy tuck

Hi thank you for your question. Each scenario is really case by case but in general I would advise my patients to avoid any kind of sexual activity until cleared by your doctor. Having sex too soon after surgery can lead to bleeding and other complications. I would plan on at least 4 weeks minimum without sexual activity.  

Sex after Tummy tuck