Is the lollipop right for me? (Photo)

After two kids, I'm ready for a breast lift and augmentation. My goal size is a full C cup that is as natural looking as possible. I met with a doctor that recommends a Lollipop incision with 330 cc saline implants. I'm nervous about the size of the incision and the healing process. There are some seriously gruesome photos out there. I'm 36 years old, 5'6" and 160 pounds. My current bra size is 36B. Thank you!

To lift or not to lift?

Thanks for your question Ms. Mastopexymaybe.  According to your photos, your nipples are still slightly above your lower breast crease.  As such, it looks like you may not require a complete lollipop incision to achieve a natural looking breast.  If anything a lift that only includes an incision around the nipple may be required.  Whatever you choose you look like you will be a great candidate!

Hope this helps.

British Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Based on your photos

a lift is not mandatory... why take the scars, added risks and complications, and greater cost to have a procedure that you may not need.  Your asymmetry that exists will not be changed and you may see this more after augmentation and choose to have a lift on the lower side if you desire better symmetry.  But the bottom line is you could be very happy with augmentation alone so why bother with the lift, unless you're wanting 20 y/o breasts before kids.

Curtis Wong, MD

It looks like you may not need a lift since the implants will give you a lift, especially with 330 cc. If a small lift is needed, it might be a crescent lift on top of the areola. The lollipop scar seems too much at this point.

Ahmet R. Karaca, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants only?

Hello and thanks. I like the idea of just a breast augmentation and not a lift at this point. However, a recommendation cannot be made without an exam. Consider shape silicone breast implants as these will move the nipple higher and fill the breast more naturally. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

To mastopexy or not

Hi Mastopexy,

Thanks for your question and photos. I certainly would not recommend a mastopexy based on your photos. However an in person examination and measurements would help figure this out. The lift part is based on your expected outcome, but based on a natural look, I think shaped implants without a lift would give you the desired outcome with no lift as they preferentially fill the lower part of your breast while giving you a natural look. Unless you are concerned about silicone implants, the chances of rupture and rippling are higher with saline. Get seen by a board certified plastic surgeon. Good Luck.

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

Is the lollipop right for me?

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photos, it appears that implants alone would do the trick in achieving your goals.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon and get a second or third opinion if you're not comfortable with the surgical plan.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Is the lollipop right for me?

Thank you for your pictures and your questions. I think that from looking at your pictures and hearing about your goals, you may not even need a lift at all. This would depend on your ultimate goals, but I think that there are often patients I see in your exact situation who are very happy with an augmentation alone. In addition, unless you are set on saline implants, I would not recommend that to you. I think you would be best served by getting a few more opinions from some board certified (ABPS) plastic surgeons in your area. Maybe with a few more opinions, you can narrow in on what you think will work best for you.

Good luck and be safe!

Is the lollipop right for me?

I am not sure you need a lift at all. Of course, assessing your breasts from photos is no substitute for an in-person examination, but your nipples appear to be in a good position and above the level of your inframammary crease, and therefore unlikely to point downward after augmentation. If a patient's breast overhang is too far over the crease then there may be a tendency for the breast to "hang" off the implant (because the bottom of the implant rests at the crease), but it does not look like your breast is very overhanging. Your left breast looks a little lower or more overhanging than the right, but the nipples are fairly symmetric. Since you want to be a full C, I believe that an implant of such size are likely to fill your breasts out without a lift, and if a mild tightening effect at the bottom of the breast is needed, this can be accomplished through a skin excision with only a slightly longer scar in the breast crease where we place our augmentation incision anyway. A dual plane technique will encourage the implant to fill out the lower pole of your breast. Also, be sure you understand the pros and cons of saline vs. silicone gel implants before making your decision. It sounds like you might want to obtain another surgical opinion or two through additional consultations. Good luck with your procedure.

Is the lollipop right for me?

I think it might be good to get more than one consultation. We see patients with your anatomy virtually every week and rarely do a lift unless they want a very high and artificial look. With the nipples above the fold, as yours are, the patients get a beautiful look without any type of lift doing a breast augmentation with a dual plane positioning of the implants. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Lollipop lift

Hekllo dear, thanks for your post and provided photo as well. The lollipop breast lift is a unique surgical technique that is designed to return breasts to a more youthful look. It provides just the right amount of shaping and only requires the most minimal incision lines possible.
Designed for women who require a medium amount of surgical correction, the lollipop breast lift involves a surgical incision in a ring around the areola, as well as a straight incision running from the bottom of the areola to the middle of the breast crease. This allows for greater flexibility and adaptability, while keeping the size of the incisions as small as possible and allowing them to be hidden under swimwear or underwear.

For the lift, I typically start with the smallest incision and custom tailor each breast lift to the shortest scar possible.

I recommend to Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lifts each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD