I have lost another 5 lbs in the past month. Vacation fun slowed it down.

To the Drs lurking I am 5'2.75 " 175 lbs 66 yrs old. How much more weight do I need to lose ? Medicare is primary and fed blue cross blue shield secondary. Want it badly this year or in new year.

Without knowing what procedure you want

its impossible to comment objectively.  And to say doctors are lurking???  A misstatement I hope.  Surgery can be done whenever your weight is stable with your current lifestyle (diet and activities).  And then you have to find providers who contract with your insurance, which can be challenging sometimes.  Keep looking and you should be able to find a surgeon who will do your procedure at whatever BMI you are at if you are accepting of increased risks for wound issues and less than perfect results.

Your question gives no indication of what surgical procedure you are thinking of and no photos are included. From your Ht/Wt your BMI is at 30. Borderline high for some operations, OK for others. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast Reduction weight

Hi Skully00.For a breast reduction, it is good to be at your goal weight, but unlike a tummy tuck, it isn't totally necessary.  Most insurers will jusge the medical necessity of a breast reduction based on the estimated weight you will have removed from each breast.  Your BMI will sometimes come into account with some insurers, but as many women have difficulty exercising and maintaining a healthy weight because of the difficulty of restraining large breasts during exercise and difficulty finding garments that fit, lots of women actually have an easier time getting to their goal weight afterward.  Have you selected the surgeon you would like to have perform the surgery?  I would suggest you do that if you haven't.  That way you can have the discussion in view of your particular physique, health issues, and the actual guidelines your surgeon uses.  Look for someone board certified!Best of luck.M. Renee Jespersen MD

M. Renee Jespersen, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss before surgery

It is necessary to be within 20 pounds of your goal weight before surgery. It is more important to be consistent with your weight as that it would be the best measure for your surgeon to use during your consultation.