Can Kybella help with the jowl area? I don't have a double chin, but my jawline has lost its definition.

Kybella or Belkyra in Canada works well under the chin, but is not approved for the jowls yet. Perhaps, with experience of the product, the jowls will be the next indication.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Silhouette InstaLift – a treatment for the jowl area.

Thank you for your question. You might want to consider Silhouette Instalift to correct your jowl area. Silhouette InstaLift is a great minimally invasive procedure to help you lift your jowls. The procedure will re-contour your face for a more naturally youthful appearance. If you are interested please schedule a consultation with a qualified physician and make sure they are familiar with the procedure as it is very new. I have recently performed it on a number of patients and their results have been great. I would recommend between 2-3 treatments for optimal results.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Jowl Lines Treatments

Wouldn't that be great if Kybella could be used to treat other areas of subcutaneous fat in unwanted places!
At this time, however, Kybella is indicated ONLY for submental chin fat. The safety and effectiveness of treating in other areas has not yet been studied.  We would suggest a professional consultation to determine if dermal fillers or skin tightening might options other than surgery.

Ronald Moser, MD
San Juan Capistrano Physician

Kybella should not be used on the jowl area.

Kybella should not be used on the jowl area. However, there are a number of other non-invasive options that can help to tighten the skin and improve the jawline contour, including Ultherapy and Excilis and Pelleve. I suggest visiting a board-certified dermatologist for a consultation to see what options are available to help with your jawline definition. Since you don't have a double chin, liposuction or kybella injections are likely not your best options.

Melda A. Isaac, MD
Washington DC Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella not for the jowls

Kybella is not for the jowls as branches of facial nerve run just underneath the jowls.  Kybella can temporarily irritate these nerves, so it is not recommended.
For Kybella of the neck we work to map out and avoid the facial nerves and keep the irritation from happening.
Precision SmartLipo is a way to tighten the jowls without a facelift.

Kybella and Jaw Line

Kybella is great for the double chin but can't be used on the jowl area.  For the jowls you should definitely consider Thermage which will tighten the neck and jowl area.  Please consult an expert. Best, Dr. Green

Double Chin Treatment / Jowl Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella, CoolMini

I treat the jowl most often with a combination of VASER/ThermiRF.  None invasively, off-label, we have seen great outcomes with Kybella for the jowl and buccal fat pad areas, kness, bra roll, inner thigh and buttock roll.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Avoid Kybella (Belkyra) if you have jowls.

Kybella (Belkyra) does not treat jowls, it only treats double chins or submental fullness. It would be dangerous to use it in the jowl area as it can damage a nerve and give you a funny smile. In my experience, if a patient has jowls then Kybella (Belkyra) can actually make them appear more prominent when the double chin is treated. I avoid treating double chins in patients with jowls but there are lots of ways to improve jowls!  Speak to an experienced dermatologist to discus your options.

Julia Carroll, MD
Toronto Dermatologist

You have to be careful injecting Kybella in the lower jowl area because it could damage your marginal mandibular branch of your facial nerve.  Kybella is designed only for the submental area.

John Burns, MD

Kybella Indications

Thank you for your question. Kybella is FDA-approved to treat the submental (under the chin) fat. Because it provides some skin tightening, it can potentially (very minimally) help with the jowl region, but this area is typically better helped with fillers (like radiesse, juvederm ultra plus, voluma or restylane left), or with a skin-only, or skin + SMAS (deep) facelift. Your best bet is to have an in-person consultation with a Plastic Surgeon to see what procedure or procedures can give you your ideal result.