Ice pack on breast implants?

will putting ice on my breast after breast implant surgery help with the burning shooting pain.

Ice pack on breast implants?

Greetings

Thank you for your question. This is not needed but Icing could help with your pain and swelling. It is better to take your pain mediation

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Ice and BA

I generally don't recommend ice for breast patients as the implant is so far from the skin surface it does little good nor is it helpful after the point of maximum swelling, after the first 3 days.

Discuss this with your surgeon and follow his directions!

#iceaftersurgery
#breastaugmentation
#BA

Ice on breasts after surgery

Icing could help with your discomfort.  We allow this in my practice and it does help with pain and swelling.  I would still check with your surgeon to make sure this is recommended in your situation.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Contact your PS

Thank you for the question. This question is best answered by your surgeon. We have different procedures in handling post operation treatment. So best to follow up with your board-certified plastic surgeon and follow his/her recommendations.Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Ice is OK for Comfort, But Overrated.

There is some evidence that cooling in the first 48 hours after surgery helps decrease swelling and bruising and provides some comfort.

However,  I would caution you that too much cold could lead to compromise of the skin and after 48 hours very little therapeutic benefit is achieved. I advise patients that they may use cool packs for the first 48 hours,  but alternate them on and off.

Icing

Thank you for the question and placing a cold pack on your breasts will help with the pain and swelling.  Just be certain that you do not keep it on for too long a period of time

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

No ice pack

Since every surgeon has his or her own unique post op protocol, ask your surgeon, but no, I would not recommend an ice pack as you run the risk of burning your skin. Best, Dr. Nazarian 

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Icing after surgery

Although cooling the tissues is helpful in reducing inflammation and bruising and pain, I don't routinely recommend it because of the fear that you might burn your skin if cooled too much or for too long. You may not realize that you are doing this especially if you have some numbness.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Ice pack on breast implants?

I appreciate your question.

I would not recommend that as your sensation is impaired and might not feel if the ice is too cold.  Please follow up with your surgeon so he/she can examine you and help manage your pain.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Ice after breast implants

Thank you for your question.  I recommend patients do not use ice or heat following surgery as these areas may be numb and you will not feel if it is too hot or too cold.  Best of luck to you!