I had a baby 3 months ago and would love to get a tummy tuck/breast lift. How soon can I get this after giving birth? (Photo)

I weigh 160 and run 2-3 miles a day. How much am I looking at cost wise

When to Schedule a Mommy Makeover

It's suggested to wait at least 6 months after pregnancy to undergo a Mommy Makeover. Additionally, your weight should also be stable for at least 6 months.  #Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.  Most importantly, your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision. 

All surgical procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Information that you read online may not apply to your personal situation. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with the procedures included with a Mommy Makeover. . Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.  Also, such #combined operations are often performed with our Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with Mommy Makeovers. Therefore, if you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your doctor. Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time. 

Timing of mommy make-over

Thank you for your mommy make-over question.
  1. Wait 6 months after the baby to have the mommy make-over
  2. Find a plastic surgeon now so you know what to expect
  3. Do not have a mommy make-over now if you plan more children.
  4. Cost varies on what is needed - it will range between $10,000 and $15,000. Best wishes.

How soon can I get a Mommy Makeover after giving birth?

Hello and congratulations on your new baby. In my practice, I recommend women wait 6 months after the birth of a baby before they undergo a Mommy Makeover procedure. You will also want to make sure you are at a stable and maintainable weight before surgery, and of course, that you are done having children. 

How soon after having a baby can you have a Mummy Makeover?

There are physcial and social issues to consider that determine when you are at the right time to have plastic surgery after having a baby. The physical issues: you should make sure that you and your partner don't want to have further children, that you are at your ideal weight, are ready to stop breast feeding and that you are fully recovered from delivering your baby. The social issues: who will help you at home when you are in hospital, when are you planning to get back to work, is your baby old enough to be away from you for the 4-5 days that you are in hospital? Once that's all sorted out, then you can safely consider having surgery to make you look and feel the way you used to!

How long after delivery should I wait to have a breast lift and tummy tuck?

Usually it is best to wait 6 months after delivery to undergo breast lift and tummy tuck surgery.  There are many changes that

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

I had a baby 3 months ago and would love to get a tummy tuck/breast lift. How soon can I get this after giving birth?

3 months is about the earliest that elective surgery is performed.  If you have reached a stable weight and are not breast feeding, these procedures can be performed.  Find an expert with great credentials and reviews.

Most doctors prefer to wait six months after childbirth to perform a mommy makeover.

There is no absolute time that is required although most surgeons would prefer that breast-feeding is ceased and the new mother is physiologically stable. Six months seems to be the preferred time interval.

Thanks for your question. A rule of thumb at our institute is 4-6 months. If you are breast feeding and still have milk coming out then you really should wait until there is no more.

Always seek out the opinion of a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in tummy tucks. Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up.

Give yourself the highest percentage of a successful operation. The costs involved for a mommy makeover to include a tummy tuck and breast lift with implants will vary according to the area of the country. Here in Miami the prices will vary greatly on whether you choose a shopping center clinic or a surgeon in private practice. At our institute it depends on the individual's particular needs . I would encourage you to really do your research before making the decision. Good luck

Surgery after pregnancy

I would recommend waiting about 6 months after you stop breast feeding to have breast surgery. And I would recommend waiting until you have maintained your pre-pregnancy weight for about 3 months before having abdominal surgery. 

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon