Could the fat from a bichectomy be used as an eye socket filler?

Bichectomy fat for lower eyelid filler

Hello,I do think this fat is quite hearty and robust.  Ask your surgeon if he/she feels comfortable placing it deep against the bone, as in fat repositioning during lower eyelid surgery.  It could work.  I've placed fat (not injections) into the lower eyelid region and it does well.  It will regress a little, but again, it could help.Best of luck!

San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Not recommended

It may seem that only a small amount of fat is needed to fill an eye socket, but in reality fat transfer procedures usually put more fat in the desired area since on average half of the transferred fat is reabsorbed. Fat obtained through liposuction from areas such as arms and belly is thus more recommended for fat transfer and increased volume. 

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer, Final Results? TEMPLES / FACE / Scar Treatment

Fat transfer can give you good volume and fillers can be used in its place. I suggest you see an expet who uses all the types of fillers to get the best outcome.  Sometimes lasers, microneedling/PRP are better to use in combination. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

I would not do it. If the fat is minced up and injected throughout the socket so as to increase the survivability of the fat the risk to vision is too great. If the is fat placed as a solid graft the survival rate of the fat will be unacceptably too low. 

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Harvesting fat for facial fat transfer

The simple answer is probably not. This event is generally surgically removed. Fat use for fat transfer is generally removed using some form of liposuction. It's also so easy to harvest small amounts of fat for facial fat transfer from areas like the bellybutton that it's probably just easier to do it that way. Fat taken out through the mouth will be contaminated with bacteria and should not be re-injected. Best, Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Use of Buccal Fat for Transplantation

Buccal fat can be used for fat transplantation but the limitation will be the relatively small amount of fat that is typically taken from the buccal space.

Buccal Fat

The fat from a buccal lipectomy can be substantial and can be 'recycled' to be used for fat grafting purposes. Using buccal fat for orbital reconstruction would be an excellent use for it.