Failed clitoropexy - Is it safe to re-cut the same skin/try to do it again?

I had a clitoropexy (clitoris lifted, very little hood skin left from previous surgery so no cover/pull down procedure was possible) which did not hold when the stitches dissolved. Is it safe to re-cut the same skin/try to do it again? Perhaps this time with a permanent stitch? I'm too scared to get the glands itself reduced.

Clitoropexy revision

With any surgical repair, if a revision is planned, the situation is unique and the procedure customized. A careful medical review, examination and treatment plan should be done by an experienced GYN reconstructive surgeon.

Failed Clitoropexy

There are complications associated with clitoropexy,
including reduced or absent clitoral sensation, which can affect one's ability
to obtain orgasm.  The rate of
complication may increase after multiple procedures.In order to better evaluate whether the procedure could be
perform, a thorough examination would be required by an experienced cosmetic
genital surgeon.Many gynecologists and plastic surgeons do not perform
clitoropexy.  As a cosmetic urologist, I
do perform clitoropexy.  Best of luck.

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

With failed procedures

an exam is required to allow your surgeon to see if there is any adjacent tissue that could be used in your reconstruction.  If your lateral hood was not impacted, its possible to provide better coverage of your clitoris.  And if you truly have a protruding one, you should only see surgeons with experience in dealing with that... you don't want to have a 3rd failed procedure.

Curtis Wong, MD

Another failed "clitoropexy." WHY (??!) are these procedures performed, and who is performing them?! A Warning...

I think maybe you've corresponded with us before? Clitoropexy ("pinning" down a protruberant clitoral body and pulling the skin either up or back to avoid a "trapped glans" or removing redundant skin) is frequently associated with post-operative scarring and poor wound healing. This is because there are no "tissue planes" under the skin of the clitoral hood as it covers the mid/upper portion of the clitoral body. Because of all the tissue tension on and under this area, incisions there tend to be scarred and want to pull apart when they heal. Many surgeons are not aware of this and place inadequate "scaffolding" sutures under the skin, and it pulls apart after surgery, resulting in scarring. This is why, whenever I operate on a patient with a large, redundant hood, when I excise I try to place the incision well LATERAL to the mid-line and in a vertical plane. When it is necessary to place an incision either horizontally or in a "diamond pattern" on the mid-hood, the incision must be anchored carefully, and scarring/separation is a risk.
As for you, a "3rd repair" is rarely successful. Permanent sutures are not an option in this area.Scar tissue is scar tissue is scar tissue. It has few blood vessels and tends to not stretch or hold sutures well- the opposite of what you want for healing. I would recommend that you get at least 2 opinions fro experienced genital plastic/cosmetic surgeons; you will need to visit IN-PERSON to get the proper evaluation
Bottom line? Do not do a "Clitoropexy" unless there is a definite indication; explore other surgical or non-surgical options first!
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

Clitoroplexy revision revision?

Your clitoropexy failed twice. With each surgery, tissue is lost and scar tissue is laid down. The probability of success is dependent upon the quality and quantity of remaining tissue and the amount of repositioning required to achieve the desired effect. This requires an in person evaluation.