Do my own ear/nose cartilages wrapped in fascia form predictably?

I was told by a Dr in person that they do not. True or false? It is for elevation of nasal bridge purpose.

Wrapped Cartilage Grafts

Diced cartilages grafts wrapped in fascia work very predictably and are an excellent choice for dorsal augmentation of the nose.

Dear trapezehealth

In general, in the hands of an experienced surgeon, cartilage grafts are rather predictable. Each type of graft has its own advantages and disadvantages. The nasal septum is generally considered the most predictable and easily accessible source at the time of rhinoplasty. It is stiffer and firmer than ear cartilage but does not warp like rib graft. Auricular cartilage is more pliable and has excellent volume. Diced cartilage in fascia is a very good option to fill an area such as glabella. For raising the entire dorsum, it is good and reasonably predictable. Rib grafts are a large procedure and not often indicated and have high morbidity and risk of warping.    

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Is Cartilage Wrapped in Fascia Reliable to Augment the Nasal Bridge?

I feel that diced cartilage wrapped in fascia is the best option to augment the nasal bridge. This graft can be predictably formed. Other options include solid cartilage grafts which can shift and reveal sharp edges after placement or synthetic implants which can move and extrude.

Are cartilage grafts wrapped in fascia pedictable

The use of cartilage is generally predictable.  The fascia grafts help to camouflage the edges of the cartilage and/or support them if diced.  The amount and size of grafts with or without fascia may affect long term viability.

Consult  many surgeons for your problem.  Some may recommend other treatments.  This depends on the expertise and experience of your surgeon.

Ernest Robinson, MD
Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cartilage and facia augmentation rhinoplasty

Diced cartilage wrapped in fascia typically has some shrinkage.   It is a recognized technique. Solid cartilage grafts from rib can give more significant results but also can shrink or warp. Diced cartilage is a good technique in cases desiring subtle changes. 

Philip Solomon, MD, FRCS
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

False

Diced cartilage wrapped in fascia is the workhorse of dorsal augmentation. Reabsorption is very low and the results are fairly predictable. The risk of infection or rejection are very low as well because is your own tissues, in contrast to the use of implants such as Medpore, Silicone and so on...

Javier Galindo, MD
Spain Facial Plastic Surgeon