Confused about procedures, help!

I've been looking into having my neck lifted & maybe the lower face. I've been reading about different Dr's take on it. Some say the lower face lift & neck lift are the same with 1 price, some say they are 2 different surgeries at 2 different costs. Many say there's the neck lift, lower face, middle face, upper face, 3 procedures, 3 different costs? Does that mean I should go with the Dr that offers the face & neck lift as 1 procedure at 1 price? I'm confused. Thank you

Confused about procedures

Thank you for your question, I understand your confusion,90% of my patient will always undergo facelift and neck lift together to achieve a natural result, leaving patients with continuity.  Even thought the face and neck lifts are different procedures, most patients firstly having them together and second the incisions I create for the facelift are the same incisions involved when providing a neck lift.  I would normal create a packed price for both procedures as in the past when patients do have only facelift or neck lift singular, then it can highlight more, imperfections in other areas, therefore them always returning to get one or the other procedure performed.  Moreover, I do have some patients of a younger age with jowls slightly highlighted however skin laxity fairly good compared to older patients, therefore in this case if a patient wanted just a facelift or just a neck lift, the procedures would be separate, and I would be happy to perform.  Needless to say, different surgeons have different approaches, but the more procedures performed affects the price. Please make sure you find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve.

All The Best 

Confused about procedures, help! = the number of procedures performed affects the price #necklift #lowerfacelift

Technically, neck lift only addresses the neck contour and no the jaw line. A lower facelift only addresses the jaw line and the lower  face, but not the neck.

Sometimes when performing a neck lift, a lower facelift is performed do give a sharp defined jaw line. Therefore, the pricing of the procedure varies depending of the number of procedures performed by the surgeon and if the surgeon decides to "bundle" the pricing in one single fee  or splits the price depending of the number of procedures performed

John Mesa, MD

Lower face and neck lift

In my practice, I rarely perform a neck lift without also performing a lower face lift at the same time. Since the lower face and neck are invested by a continuous sheath of muscle under the skin, lifting the muscle in one area without doing so in the neighboring area can cause unnatural and often dissatisfying results.

Steven M. Daines, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Different procedures for facial rejuvenation.

The terminology varies among surgeons, but there are a number of options available for face/neck rejuvenation.  My advice is to consult with a surgeon who does all regions of the face, that way you can be reasonably confident that you will be offered options depending on your needs and desires, and not because someone is trying to fit you into a procedure that they prefer to do.  In general, if you have a neck that would benefit from improvement, that should be done as well as the lower face.  Omitting the neck procedure when needed often produces dissatisfying results.  

Thomas A. Pane, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Facelift procedures

Try to choose your surgeon based on what's bothering you the patient, and focus on solving those issues. There are many different semantic terms used for facial cosmetic surgery. In our practice we perform a comprehensive lower face and neck lift, which accomplishes  tightening loose facial and neck skin, tightening loose facial and back muscles, removing fatty deposits in the neck, a platysma plasty, and lifting the jowls. For many examples and our current price list, please see the link and the video below

A facelift should cover a neck lift

and if your surgeon wants to charge for both procedures, I would go find me another surgeon who offers everything for one price.  Charging each procedure as a unique procedure is just a way to generate more income and gets you no benefit.  If you are fine with your lower face, a neck lift is all that is needed and if you want your jawline and lower face addressed at the same time, a facelift in my hands will do all of it for you.

Curtis Wong, MD

Cost of Facial Rejuvenation

Unfortunately you are experiencing a common problem many patients have when considering facial rejuvenation. The terminology is confusing because some surgeons include the neck and face when describing a face lift, others do not but list each part of this surgery as a separate procedure. You must be very specific about what will be done when trying to compare suggestions offered by different surgeons. An experienced surgeon can show you multiple examples of results in patients who had what they are proposing for you. It does not make any difference what they call it.

Confused about procedures, help!

I agree that the terminology surrounding facial aesthetic procedures can be confusing, and is not standard among practitioners. I suggest you do the following: 1. find an experienced and attentive surgeon who has an eye for beauty and proportion; 2. explain to him or her the changes in your features that you are concerned about; 3. ask for a treatment plan and a discussion of reasonable expectations, risks and complications; 4. finally, and not most importantly, ask about the costs of the surgery and any possible revisions. No matter the terminology, you should then be in a position to choose the surgeon to whom you are going to trust your face. All the best. 

Confused about terms used to describe face and neck lift

Doctors' use of lay terms to describe different procedures are confusing because we don't agree on what different things should be called. Medical terms such as rhytidectomy (facelift), necklift, forehead lift, brow lift are less confusing to a degree but within each category there are different techniques which do not necessarily give the same results. For instance in the category of facelift, there are SMAS lift, extended SMAS lift, subperiosteal lift. Within the subcategory of SMAS lift, there are different techniques such as SMAS plication, SMAS tightening with sutures alone. What I call a lower facelift is an extended high SMAS lift which will lift the midface and the lower 1/3 of the face. What a different surgeon calls a lower facelift is probably something else altogether and may not have the same result. Best forget all these terms and come in ready to discuss what specifically bothers you and the effect the proposed surgery is likely to have on those things that bother you. Look at the surgeon's before and after photos which have the same preoperative issues as you and see how well they have been addressed. Be sure to ask if other procedures have been performed on those photos such as laser resurfacing. Don't go by price alone, pick the best surgeon you can afford.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Confused about procedures, help

Unfortunately terminology in our specialty is often confusing. The standard "facelift" includes the lower face and neck. But not all patients need their neck rejuvenated so there is a procedure designed just for the lower face. Since that is less work than the standard facelift, it should have a lower price. The same is true of the neck lift alone. Forget about all the terminology. Go to an experienced and artistic board certified plastic surgeon. tell the doctor your goals, and have a procedure that will meet those goals. Low bid is not always best in health care.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD