Is this capsular contracture or could there be another explanation? (Photo)

I had my breast augmentation done about 11 months ago and this is what I ended up with. I've seen my surgeon many times since my surgery and was told to try more massage and the band. Otherwise she could go in again and manually move the implant down. Is this normal? Should I have to pay for this?

Is this capsular contracture or could there be another explanation?

You are going to see the difference just after the procedure. However it is necessary to wait for some time in order to see the final result. After the breast augmentation operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will be advised to wear a corset in order to reduce the edema. You can start to do your daily activities just after the operations but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture

No.  It is a Grade IV contracture.  So sorry, but that will need to be corrected surgically.  Timing is always a controversy, but your surgeon will discuss this with you.  Payment for the procedure is up to you and your surgeon.  There is no standard protocol.  It isn't your fault, nor is it his.  So, you should strive for fairness and hopefully you will see eye to eye. 

David Marcus, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

This is not normal

The photo you posted is not normal for a breast augmentation.  You would need to be examined in person to determine what the cause of this is, but it will require another operation to correct.  Most plastic surgeons will have a policy regarding fees for revision surgery.  You should discuss this with your surgeon.

David S. Chang, MD

Results are not normal

and banding will not bring that down.  Your surgeon should have a revision policy and ideally it was discussed prior to your procedure.  In my practice, I don't charge a fee but the patient is responsible for the OR and anesthesia as my patients leave the OR with their implants level and I assume yours was as well.  If this is how it was when you woke up, you may have more leverage in decreasing your costs.  But you have to discuss this with your surgeon and you should realize that every surgeon should want the best outcome for their patients... but not all surgeons share this view.

Curtis Wong, MD

You have developed a capsule contracture on the right breast

From the picture you have formed a severe capsule on the right breast.  No amount of pushing downwards will help this.  The capsule appears to have formed mostly on the lower part of the breast.  When capsules form they will cause contraction of the pocket.  Since the capsule is mostly on the lower half of the implant pocket your implant is now severely displaced upwards from the contraction of the scar.  There are many reasons why capsule form.  The most common is being too active right after surgery.  Since the right side is distorted and not the left side, I am assuming you are right handed.  Over use of the right arm shortly after surgery can lead to blood pooling on the lower half of the breast.  Where blood collects is where scar forms.  You will need have a revision surgery to remove all of the existing scar around the implant and replace with a new implant.  How this is covered has to be discussed with the surgeon. 

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon