How much weight should I lose before surgery? I'm 181 lbs, and 5.2'75. Lost 40 since March 16 and I have dense breasts (Photo)

How much more weight to lose prior to surgery? Lost 40 lbs since 3/16. Recovering from foot fusion. Heterogenous dense boobs. 527 grams on left 527 on r.

You should lose what is easy for you to lose

but if you're having a reduction covered by insurance and you have minimums you have to meet, you could end up with results much smaller than you would like.  Your goal is to get to a weight that you can easily maintain with your current lifestyle... nothing more and nothing less.  And if your surgeon is beating you to lose more, you should find another surgeon.

How much weight should I lose before surgery?

First, congratulations on the 40 lb. weight loss.  considering that you are recovering from foot surgery and were still able to lose the weight is a great accomplishment.  If you can get your BMI below 30, or a weight of 165 lbs., it will help decrease the risks associated with any surgery, including breast reduction/lift and will also improve your overall result..  Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive breast reduction/lift experience.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift /Breast Reduction/ Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants

Thank you for your question. For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.
Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

It is healthiest to be as close as possible to your ideal weight, but for a breast reduction that is not as critical as for other procedures like the Tummy tuck. BTW, nobody can determine the exact weight to be removed prior to surgery and still do an artistic job. The goal is to create a more comfortable and aesthetic breast size and shape, whatever has to be removed. If someone is working to an exact amount to be removed they are then not concerned about the real goals of the procedure. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

How much weight should I lose before breast reduction surgery?

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your successful weight loss .reduction surgery at some point.  Congratulations also on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with body and breast contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation (best chance to achieve an optimal aesthetic outcome), and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently.

In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.
 When the time is right, seeking consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be your next/best step. Best wishes.

Weight loss

How much weight do you want to lose? This is always a difficult question because I think some patients actually lose weight after they have breast reduction because they are more motivated to do so and because they see a significant difference after the reduction. Just curious, how do you know how many grams each of your breasts weighs?

Edward S. Gronka, MD
Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon

How much weight should I lose before surgery? I'm 181 lbs, and 5.2'75. Lost 40 since March 16 and I have dense breasts

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and congratulations on the impressive weight loss.  I would recommend waiting on surgery until you reach your desired goal weight. This weight should be one where you are comfortable at, and can maintain, as weight fluctuations will affect your long-term results. Any weight loss before surgery will not only be in your best interest from a safety point of view, but also in obtaining the best cosmetic result.  Hope this helps.