I'm 5'8", 23, one child, 138 lbs. Is it possible to get a DD implant? 38 DD to be exact (Photo)

Lift implant or maybe both and also if wanted to breastfeed later on will they go back to being saggy

Breast implants with lift

Based on your photos you will likely require a breast lift at the time of your breast augmentation. Going to a DD bra size may be difficult as that size may compromise the breast lift. A consultation in person would be more helpful to you. It's very difficult to have very large breasts (DD cup) and remain "lifted".

Dr.Bruno

I'm 5'8", 23, one child, 138 lbs. Is it possible to get a DD implant? 38 DD to be exact

Thank you for your question. Based on your photos, you appear to have a nice starting place and should have a nice result with breast augmentation surgery. I think that you will need a lift also for best results. Unfortunately you cannot pick an exact cup size. The most important factor when sizing implants, is working closely with your surgeon in person to find the implant size that gives you the look that you desire. Careful measurements of your breast and chest wall will help determine which size implants will fit within your natural breast footprint. Taking into account your desired look, and your measurements, an implant is chosen that specifically fits your body. Unfortunately, online recommendations are not that helpful. Make sure that you have a good relationship with your plastic surgeon, so that you two can work together to find the right size. In my office, patients try on implants in a bra and clothing. There able to see how they look in the mirror, and in photographs. Women are also encouraged to bring in wish pictures, so that I can get a sense of the look that they would like to achieve.

Breast Lift with Implants

Thank you for reaching out and posting photos! Determining whether a lift is needed is best determined with an in person consultation where you can be measured. As far as size, that is also determined by measurements and you can size out implants at your consultation. If you are still planning on having more children, the body changes that come with pregnancy and breast feeding will change the original result. Be sure to visit Board Certified Plastic Surgeons. Best of Luck! Dr. Kachenmeister

Robert M. Kachenmeister, MD

Thank you for your question. You will need a breast lift for the best result. Implant size is determined by a measurement of your breast base width which your surgeon will take. Double D cup is hard to predict but will likely require an implant larger that 35o-375cc.

To lift or not to lift with augmentation

is usually quite easy to decide in most cases.  But you are in the gray zone and with large implants as you are considering, I would not recommend a lift at this time.  if you are accepting of less than perfect results. You can always decide after whether one is needed or not.  The incision would be under the breast to protect ALL of your milk ducts and give you the best chance to breast feed again in the future.  So discuss your goals with your surgeon, size to find what volume will give you what you want, and understand some surgeons will push you towards a lift but in my opinion, if there is a chance you won't need it, why accept the costs, risks, and scarring that will come from one?  Your breasts are somewhat low on your chest too so be wary of lowering your folds as it could create more problems for you.

Curtis Wong, MD

Is it possible to get a DD implant?

From the photos it looks like a breast lift will be necessary to get a look you would like and yes, pregnancy will change surgical results. It is not possible to augment to a bra size as bra sizes are not true sizes, each manufacturer has a different idea of what a DD is, but you should have no trouble getting that look, which is all surgery can do. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Thank you for your question and photos. You should get a great result with an augmentation/lift procedure. Implant sizing is by volume and dimensions (width, projection and height if tear drop shaped). In my practice, we use sizers and also the Vectra 3D photo software to visualize the changes you can expect with different size implants. See a board certified plastic surgeon for an in person consultation/evaluation. Good luck.

Larger breast implants

At 5' 8" tall you can handle larger implants and look in proportion. It appears your right breast has more droop (ptosis) than your left. This will not be corrected with an implant. You may need to raise the right nipple a bit. You appear thin which means you will not have excess soft tissue coverage over the implant. I would advise a sub muscular gel implant of either moderate plus or high profile depending on your measurements. Ask for 3D imaging and the use of sizers before the surgery to get a better idea of how you will really look.

Best of Luck,

Dr. J

I'm 5'8", 23, one child, 138 lbs. Is it possible to get a DD implant?

As you know, implants don't come labelled as a cup size but instead are labelled by volume and dimensions.   My best advice for you is to address your goals carefully (using photos of others) with your surgeon and then let him/her do their best job to match your size determining the best "fit" implant for you during surgery.  This can be aided by the use of test implants or "sizers" placed during the procedure before a final implant is selected.  You wouldn't want to look horribly unnatural in order to a achieve a DD cup IMO so absolute cup size is secondary and proportioning, shape and contour are key to good aesthetics.

Good luck and best wishes,

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Cup size after breast surgery?

Based on your photographs, you should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation/lifting surgery. Unfortunately, in regards to specific operation and  type/size/profile of breast implant, despite good intentions, online consultants will not be able to provide you with meaningful specific advice. Ultimately, you will do well spending additional time with your plastic surgeon communicating your goals, questions, and concerns.  In other words, careful measurements, dimensional planning, and careful communication will be key.

Generally speaking, patients undergoing the breast augmentation/lifting combination operation should understand that it is significantly more complex than breast augmentation surgery only and that it is associated with a significantly higher risk of complications and need for additional surgery.  On the one hand,  when performing breast augmentation/lifting surgery we are increasing the breast  size with breast implants;  on the other hand, we are reducing the breast “envelope” in order to achieve the breast lift. These two “forces” must be balanced as perfectly as possible in order to achieve the desired results. Removing too much skin/ breast tissue is problematic;  removing too little breast skin/tissue can also be problematic.  Remember also that patients presenting for breast lifting surgery and general have lost some skin elasticity/thickness making potential incision line healing problems and/or recurrent drooping/sagging important concerns to communicate.  

Also, generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation/lifting surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. 

2. Again, have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "DD cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. The use of computer imaging may be very helpful during this communication phase.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery. The use of temporary intraoperative sizers with the patient in the upright position makes selection of the best breast implant size/profile relatively easy.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.