I'm a 30-year-old woman wanting a more defined jawline. Is a neck lift a good solution? (photos)

I've already had chin liposuction and a chin implant that I would like to get removed due to how unnatural it makes my face look. My chin just kind of juts out and does not blend in, and makes my face appear oblong. I would like to get my chin implant removed and get a neck lift to tighten up the loose skin on my neck, but am concerned that I will have a witch's chin once it is removed, and I know many doctors don't recommend a neck lift for someone my age, but what other options do I have?

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella

You may be a surgical candidate but you do not need surgery for improvement. Properly performed liposuction with energy based devices and physical fat removal will do fantastic to remove the fat, lift the skin, and contour the jawline. I pretreat everyone with Botox 1-2 weeks before surgery to relax the neck muscles, allowing for better retraction of the skin after surgery. Then after treatment we do skin tightening with Venus Legacy to improve the results and decrease the neck swelling. I suggest you only see an expert for treatment of this area as a meticulous surgeon is required to get great results and complications in this area can be devastating both medically and cosmetically. A new medication that is used to remove chin fat with injections called Kybella may also be an option, as it secondarily allows for skin tightening/lifting as well. A formal consultation is needed to determine what are the best options for you. Best, Dr. Emer. 

Would a neck lift give me a defined jawline?

Hi kbee, a neck lift is a very effective option used to address sagging in the neck. Tightening lose muscle adds definition to the chin and neck. The pictures that you have provided do not show much laxity so it is difficult to determine whether or not a neck lift would provide you with much benefit. In younger patients in the very beginning stages of the aging process, less invasive options such as ultherapy are reasonable considerations. Follow up with an experienced facial plastic surgeon who can give you options.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift and chin implant removal candidate

A full set of facial pictures are required before making any  determination about what needs to be done,  because this is going to be complicated since there is already previous surgeries performed. A chin implant can be removed and a neck lift can be accomplished at the same time. In our practice, a neck lift involves removal of fat deposits above and below the platysma muscle in addition to the platysma plasty. No skin is removed. For many examples, please see the link and the video below

Jawline

I would recommend removal of the chin implant with closure of the pocket to avoid developing a "witches chin" along with laser assisted liposuction to define your jawline.  You are not a candidate for a neck lift.

Malcolm D. Paul, MD

I'm a 30-year-old woman wanting a more defined jawline. Is a neck lift a good solution?

A neck lift is needed for removal of excess skin or excess fat not reachable with liposuction.
You do not yet need a neck lift. You are likely to benefit from conservative tumescent liposuction combined with SMART-lipo or other similar modality to improve mild skin laxity (if any).

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Adding definition to the neck of a 30 year old

Thanks for your question. I would not be in favor of any sort of neck lift for the neck I see in the submitted photos. You may however, be a candidate for Precision Smart Lipo as a combined laser/liposculpting procedure to the jawline.

Necklift and Kybella

I am disappointed by your surgeons to hear that you are unhappy with your results. To ensure that you receive the highest quality knowledge, treatment, care and skill available, I suggest you consult a board certified facial plastic surgeon. A consultation provides you the opportunity to relay your concerns and desired outcome to the surgeon while the surgeon can assess your health profile and discuss his/her pertinent advice.

Your options include surgical and non-surgical options. The non-surgical option would be the Kybella injectables - the first and only-FDA approved drug - which contours and improves the appearance of submental fullness or double-chin due to submental fat. The surgical option would be the Laser-Assisted Weekend Necklift which I have invented, innovated and refined to ensure our patients have a short recovery of several days en route to experiencing a natural appearance.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jaw line

Thank you for your question, but if you have liposuccion already more liposuccion can create more a problem in the future. A neck lift is needed when you have lose tissues but I believe is not your case but a different design implant can be more af answer for you. The designs of an implant (size and designs) can significantly change the definition of your neck

Neck lift

Hi kbee.  I think 30 is a bit young to get a neck lift.  Most patients at your age should still have good skin elasticity.  You may find that removing the chin implant (and even changing to a smaller / different chin implant in the future) won't result in loose skin.  Older patients are more likely to have lax skin.  The best thing is to see a board certified surgeon so that a good in office exam can be performed  before offering options.  i would favor removing the implant and then wait for several months to see how you heal.  Minimally invasive skin tightening or liposuction may be reasonable options later.  Take care.

Kenneth Yu, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Necklift at age 30

I believe a neck lift is a bigger operation than you need at this time.  Usually it is best for patients age 40 and older, unless you have unusual skin laxity from losing a large amount of weight.  
Your best option is probably to replace your chin implant with a pre-jowl groove or extended anatomical implant that gives more later fullness and less midline projection.

David Stoker, MD