Should I have a septoplasty?

i was born with the nasal obstruction , i'm 19 years old now and i can't feel my right side of my nose, i can't feel the air going on or out i think i can't breath with that side. and i broke my nose in 15 years old , i had fight with a big ass stupid classmate nevermind i didn't cared about it last years , but i now i think i should so i'm deciding to do a setoplasty for it but i wanted to know first should i fix my broken nose first then doing the setoplasty to remove the nasal obstruction or what ?

Should I have a septoplasty?

Dear re007

In general, you are best off having your septoplasty and rhinoplasty at the same time to give your both better breathing and the shape that you want.
Look for an expereinced and properly trained plastic surgeon. See more than one consult and make a well informed decsion.

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty Questions

Dear re007, An in office consultation with an intra nasal examination will provide a proper diagnosis to confirm deviated septum. Any nasal surgeries you may need would be combined together in one procedure. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Broken nose with difficulty breathing

Thanks for the question. If your nose looks crooked from the outside from the fracture, there are ways to straighten it with a procedure called a nasal reconstruction (basically a medically necessary rhinoplasty). This can be done open or closed, depending on what exact maneuvers/grafts may be necessary. If needed, this nasal reconstruction should definitely be done at the same time as your septoplasty, because the cartilage from the septum can be very useful in straightening the outside of the nose and improving your breathing. It's actually more complicated to do these as separate procedures. Seek a consultation with a board-certified facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon, and make sure the surgeon specializes in rhinoplasty. Insurance coverage may be possible as well. 

Best regards,
Dr. Mehta 

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal obstruction and septoplasty

Correcting the broken nose and performing a septoplasty would all be done together.     Difficulty breathing can be caused by swelling of the soft tissues on turbinates usually from allergies, airway obstruction from a deviated septum, fractured nasal bones, polyps or large bony prominences from the turbinates. Soft tissue swelling can be treated by reducing exposure to allergens, and medications such as antihistamines and steroids. The other listed problems need to be addressed surgically. Best of luck, Dr. Michael Omidi

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice. The response to the question does not constitute a doctor patient relationship or formal advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Nasal obstruction and nasal deformity

Septorhinoplasty can be performed to address both of your concerns.  This can be performed in one sitting.  Please consult with a qualified surgeon so that he may fully evaluate and offer treatment.

Ernest Robinson, MD
Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal obstruction

The type of surgery you might need will depend on what kind of obstruction you have and what your nose looks like.  It would be best to try do address all the problems at once so that you undergo general anesthesia once.  I would recommend that you see a facial plastic surgeon who can balance the functional and aesthetic aspects of the nose.  Good luck!

Sunny Park, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for crooked nose, septoplasty for breathing

There is no reason to have 2 separate nasal surgeries, so look for a surgeon who can perform both under one anesthesia with one recovery period. A  closed rhinoplasty can accomplish resetting the nasal bones straight with placement of osteotomies in them. A septoplasty  is performed in the back of the nose when there's twisted bone and cartilage blocking air flow. A septoplasty is performed for medical necessity to improve airflow dynamics. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Septoplasty

Thanks for this question.  I would recommend having your septoplasty done at the same time as any other nasal surgeries.  Septal cartilage that may be necessary to smooth out any irregularities on the outside will be available during septoplasty.  For a variety of reasons it is easier to do things all at once.  The key is to get diagnosed first my an experienced physician who does a lot of septoplasties, to make sure you are receiving the correct treatment.

Taha Shipchandler, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon