Tummy tuck 1st or butt implants...or BOTH?

35 yr old latina female. I want/need a full tummy tuck, but also desire butt implants, No bb! Heard by several its a waste. What's the average for both in Colorado?? Other than financing, can you prepay in payments a procedure vs financing? Can you get both done at the same time?

Tummy tuck and butt implants

Dear M,

Congratulation on your wisdom, in regard to BBL. Indeed, it is a waste of your time and your money, since the fat disappears completely or almost completely within few months or even sooner. I have seen it on many patients who came to my surgery center for butt implants surgery after their big and costly disappointment from the BBL that was done by other surgeons (I do not do BBL ). Additionally, in a recent study about deaths and severe complication from BBL,  it was shown that it is 55 times higher than average surgery !

As far as combining tummy tuck with butt implants surgery, in my practice I do not recommend it, because of the possible significant increase in severe complication rate (tummy tuck surgery combined with other surgeries, increases the complication rate 2-3 time, in comparison to tummy tuck surgery alone, as per recent study based on data from cosmetic surgery insurance company ). Moreover, after the combined surgery , it is very difficult to recover since it is not safe for you to lie on the stomach or the back for one month. 

Logically, it is much better to do tummy tuck surgery first, because most of my patients lose weight after surgery due to the abdominal muscles tightening that will reduce the amount of food that you can eat and your sense of hunger. Consequently, your butt will become smaller, which might make you decide about a bigger implant.

The cost of full tummy tuck surgery, depends on the surgical complexity (previous liposuction, hernia, scar revision etc) and surgery time's duration. The cost vary between $8000 - $12000. The price includes board certified plastic surgeon, accredited surgery center, anesthesia, operating room, recovery room and standard post operative  follow ups.

The cost of butt implants surgery depends on the size of the implant. Up to 565 cc implants - $8600. Implants of  660 cc size - $9700. Custom made implants cost more as well as having previous BBL. The includes all of the above, plus the implants.

Not all results are the same because experience, skills and aesthetic eye are critical for good and safe outcome. In butt implants surgery, there are also different techniques and different implants, that make a big difference in regard to the result. So , do your due diligence carefully and choose your surgeon wisely (even if you have to do it out of town)  to avoid bad result and need for corrective surgery.

Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeon who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent  and attractive. Also, check the reviews on 'RealSelf' for ratings and positive experience reports.

Dr Widder

BBL and breast augmentation

While both can be done at the same time, some surgeons will stage them because of post-op positioning issues.

Tummy tuck & butt augmentation

I generally stage these procedures simply because you will have to refrain from sitting on your buttocks for at least 2 weeks after your butt augmentation which means you would need to sleep on your stomach, which may not be optimal when just having a tummy tuck. This reduces complications and provides for a more comfortable post-operative recovery. In regards to payments, it differs per office. At my office we require a down payment to hold the date then the payment in full 3 weeks prior to the surgery. We also offer payment plans such as CareCredit it you cannot pay it in full prior to the surgery, then you can make monthly payments to Carecredit. Best of luck in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and BBL?

The beauty of plastic surgery is that it is an art, and as such different surgeons have different experiences. I have performed Tummy tuck and BBL for a years on hundreds of satisfied patients. The fat will decrease 20% after 10 days or so but in my experience the patients are left with fat for years! Maybe its to do with how the surgery is done, how much fat is placed etc.

Find a surgeon who does many of them and you will be in good hands. Buttock implants in my experience have been a ' waste of time" as the patients complain of pain, and a hard unnatural buttock. In fact i taken more implants out from unsatisfied patients from other doctors that I have placed in!

Morad Tavallali, MD
Vienna Plastic Surgeon

What can I combine?

Thanks for your question.

Tummy tuck, BBL and buttock implants can likely be combined depending on your surgeon's experience and comfort level. Yes, BBL can have variable results because injected fat can reabsorb, but in the right patient I think it is  a wonderful tool for buttock contouring. 

I don't know pricing in you area, but most PS's will offer a complimentary evaluation to help guide you and give you a quote as well. Many offer financing as well.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Find the right surgeon to help you decide

Far more important than deciding if TT or a BBL is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that! See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!