What can be done for my skin texture aside from lasers and retin-a? (photos)

In the last year my facial volume has diminished and also left me with a hideous texture I've never had before. My skin has always been acne-prone but now I have huge pores, hollowing, fine lines, creases, and wrinkles galore. I look 40...I'm only 20! I've tried retin a and it made it worse. Dysport helped my forehead once but now it just makes new wrinkles. I also had Dysport in my chin and it atrophied the muscle and left my skin thinner and began to scar where the new movement began.

What can be done for my skins texture?

We recommend a comprehensive consultation with our medical aesthetician who can get you on a good skin care routine and start a series of chemical peels.  I know you are looking for treatments other than laser, but laser technology has come a long way, and a mild resurfacing with virtually no downtime may help as well.  Be well.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Anti-aging...

Sunscreen is key!  I love Tizo Spf40 as a daily physical sunblock and primer.  Try getting regular medical facials and consider micro-needling for collagen stimulation improvement of texture.  RetinA is a great anti aging product that helps thicken and strengthen the healthy layer of skin (the dermis).  Hope this helps. 

Grant Stevens, MD

Pores and Darkspots on Face -- Fraxel/VIVA, CO2 resurfacing, Clear + Brilliant, Microneedling/PRP, VI Peel, Skin Care

My patients love fraxel or clear and brilliant with microneedling for pores. TCA peels and skin care are also used in treatment for pores, wrinkles, and creases. Facial volume can be improved in a combination approach with botox, fillers, and fat transfer. I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist with experience. Best, Dr. Emer.

Superficial Chemical Peels & Microneedling Can Help Improve Overall Skin Texture, Dilated Pores, & Fine Wrinkles`

Common, relatively inexpensive treatments, such as a series of superficial chemical peels with the use of full strength glycolic acid, Jessner's solution and low strengths of TCA and microneedling (either local--with a Dermastamp or more generalized-either with manual or automatic devices--can yield gratifying results in improving overall skin tone and texture problems. Dilated pores, fine wrinkles, and irregular/blotchy pigmentation have all proven amenable to these approaches. 

On the other hand, volume loss problems, such as the kind you allude to, can be addressed with the use of volumizing fillers, such as Voluma XC and Restylane Lyft (which I would opt for in my Upper East Side Manhattan office for achieving elevation, providing support, enhancing projection and replacing lost volume) and Stylage XXL and Hyaluronica 2 (my choices in my Israel satellite facility, where a far a greater number of regulatory agency approved volumizing fillers are available). Residual fine lines can be addressed with superficial fillers, such as Belotero Balance (NY) and Teosyal Redensity II (Israel), both of which possess little tendency to give rise to the unwanted, bluish Tyndall Effect when injected superficially as is needed for smoothing fine lines.

I am not much of a fan of relatively expensive lasers, including fraxels or radiofrequency devices, finding these back far more by device manufacturer supported marketing hype than hard science. 

You would be wise to consult a board certified aesthetic physician with experience and expertise in treating  facial tone and texture problems. Make sure to ask to see his/her before and after photos.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD