Does Hashimotos mean a higher risk for capsular contracture in breast augmentation?

I had high thyroid as a teen which led to radioactive iodine ablation and later I was diagnosed with hashimotos as my thyroid levels began to go down. After the being diagnosed with thyroid cancer I had the entire gland out a couple of years ago and now my antibodies are gone. However, I'm wondering if the fact that I had an autoimmune issue previously signals a higher risk for capsular contracture in your experience? (it does seem to be a common disease)

Hashimoto and CC.

Hello Sarie. Hashimoto's is a type of thyroid gland disease. I am not aware of any link between thyroid disease and breast implants and capsule contracture. As long as your hormone levels are well controlled and you're healthy otherwise, the risks are similar to others your age. Best wishes, Dr. ALDO

Breasts augmentation and auto immune disease

Dear Sarie,    There have been many studies by different medical specialties and there was not found any connection between breasts implants and auto immune disease or cancer (except for, maybe, very very rare type of lymphoma ).                                                                           I have been in practice for over 29 years and performed breasts augmentation with implants on few patients with Hashimoto . I did not have any increase in capsule contracture on that sub set of patients.                                                                                                      The only thing different that I would recommend for your is to get 'physical ' exam by your internist or endocrinologist and ask for clearance for surgery due to your complicated medical history. If you are healthy , presently, there should not be any contra indication for your surgery.                                                                                             This procedure will be one of the best investment that you can make in yourself. It will increase your self esteem, your sense of femininity and will make shopping fun...                                                     Not all results are the same because experience, skills and aesthetic eye are critical for good outcome. So do your due diligence and choose wisely.                                                                                       Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with nice cleavage, perky, symmetrical and natural looking.                         Best of luck,                                       Dr Widder

Capsular Contracture and Thyroid disease

There is no documented association between Thyroid disease and capsular contracture. Capsular contracture is thought to be associated with sub clinical colonization/infection of the outer surface of the implant. 
Dr. Peter A. AldeaMemphis, TN

Seems OK

There is no documented medical link between Hashimotos and capsular contracture after breast implants.

No reported increased risk

It is a very good question and there are no studies showing it to be true. I would use a no touch technique and a funnel device to place the implant to limit risks of contamination which we know increases risk of capsular contraction. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Does Hashimotos mean a higher risk of CC in breast augmentation?

Thank you for your excellent question.  In my experience Hashimotos does not tend to increase capsular contracture risk in patients undergoing a breast augmentation.  The leading thoughts on contracture place increased risk with bacterial contamination of the implant or retained blood within the breast pocket.  Talk to your surgeon about your concerns, they can best help with reassurance.