I'm 6 days po TT scar revision w/200cc lipo to area. Red area above incision. Infection, necrosis or normal healing? (Photo)

I was put on keflex 500mg 4x daily (7days) immediately day one and was wrapped in a gauze bandage so I couldn't see my incision until yesterday. Dr switched me to clindamycin 300mg 4x daily and levofloxacin 750mg 1 daily for another 7 days. I don't want to take anything unnecessary not to mention c-diff is possible. I would like your opinions on what this looks like to you. Dr told me not to worry but I'm on enough antibiotics to kill something.

I'm 6 days po TT scar revision w/200cc lipo to area. Red area above incision.

After the Tummy Tuck operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will have stiches and bandages which will be removed after the 10th day. You can start to do your daily activities 3 days after the operation but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Infection after scar revision and liposuction?

It sounds like your surgeon is taking very adequate precautions with the antibiotics and by following you closely.  The redness isn't abnormal even if there were no infection, though I would also, if you were my patient, have placed you on a similar antibiotic regimen.  Regarding the C. Diff. risk; it isn't common after antibiotic use, but it can occur.  It usually presents with diarrhea and fever, so it is advisable to be watchful for these symptoms and signs.  If they occur call your surgeon immediately.

I would follow your physician's recommendations.
From your photos alone, it looks like your healing is coming along fine.

Paul H. Rhee, MD, FACS
Castle Rock Plastic Surgeon

Infection?

Thank you for your post. From the photo it looks like you are progressing normally with no signs of infection or necrosis. These would be very uncommon complications for the procedure you've had. There are down sides to taking antibiotics as you are aware. You could discuss this with your surgeon and have him or her explain their reasoning for placing you on this antibiotic course. Perhaps there is a reason that is unclear to us from the photo and your description. Congratulations on having a tummy tuck. 

William McClure, MD

Redness to revision TT scar

Thank you for your question. Your incision look like healing appropriately. Just keep an eye and if it increases in redness tok to your doctor

Antibiotics after tummy tuck

Some redness around the incision is normal.  From the pictures, it looks like normal healing process.  If redness is from an infection (Cellulitis), the area of the redness will continue to increase unless treated with antibiotics.  The initial antibiotic (Keflex) that you were given was more than adequate to try to prevent you from having an infection.  I don't see a good reason for you to be on two additional antibiotics from pictures shown.  It'll probably best to contact your surgeon to ask if he/she had particular reason to be suspicious for an infection.  As you stated, you don't want to be taking multiple antibiotics if there are no evidence of infection.

Farid Brad Mozaffari, MD
Huntington Plastic Surgeon

Redness

Redness means swelling and it is considered normal after every single surgical procedure. 
 Your incision appears to be totally normal. 
Be encouraged 
Dr. Cardenas