What is this black tissue inside of the wound? (Photos)

I had breast reduction with augmentation on 10/18/2016. On Monday my right breast began to drain lots of clear light brownish fluid. My surgeon's nurse stated to change my gauze often and to just allow it to drain. I had already been changing my gauze 3-4 times a day. I have continued my routine until I found this today. I have minimal pressure at the sight.

What is this black tissue inside of the wound?

Thank you for your question and photos.  It appears that your implant is exposed.  I would recommend you contact your surgeon and inform them of this development.  They should be able to manage this for you.  Good luck.

Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Exposed implant

So sorry to let you know that your implant is exposed.  you need to have it removed as it is now infected now that it is exposed.  Usually when we see it exposed like that it is removed and replaced in about 3-4 months. Best to call your surgeon.

Andrew T. Cohen, MD

Implant Exposure

I am so sorry that you have had a complication following a mastopexy implant procedure. Your implant is exposed and will need to be removed. I would contact your PS immediately.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

I am very sorry to inform you that you are experiencing a breast implant exposure.  I would suggest that you keep the area covered with a sterile dressing and inform your plastic surgeon of your situation. He/she will arrange for the next steps. Best wishes.

What Is This Black Tissue Inside My Wound?

The name of the black tissue at the center of your wounds on both sides is known as an eschar.  This is part of the normal healing process when tissue has lost its vascularity.  Unfortunately, your situation is a relatively common event after a breast lift/reduction/augmentation.  This breakdown of tissue at the T-junction at the bottom of the breast is due to tension (i.e. not only the weight of the implant, but also the weight of the breast itself creates a great tension at this point) secondary to the above mentioned surgery.  Almost always, these wounds heal by secondary intention over time with rarely any significant problems.  

The eschar is actually skin that has necrosed.  Various plastic surgeons deal with the eschar in different ways.  Some remove the eschar for faster wound healing.  Some leave the eschar in order to leave less scarring.  Of course, my comment about your eschar is based on experience.  However, without an in person exam, the diagnosis of this black area is always just an assumption.  Please contact your personal plastic surgeon directly for a physician and not nurse evaluation.