Three weeks post blepharoplasty and can barely read and unable to work! (Photo)

Since my upper and lower blepharoplasty I cannot read a computer screen. If it continues, I will lose my business and any ability to earn an income. I was told everything would settle after a week or so but nothing is improving. My eyes constantly need to close when I try to focus on anything. I am using eye drops constantly but they don't seem help. My surgeon tells me that I have to build up the muscle. I had perfect eyesight before the surgery & now I don't even think I could drive a car.

Something isn't right

sorry to hear about your troubles. This is definitely not the usual course 3 weeks after blepharoplasty. Not really sure what your surgeon is talking about in regards to "building up a muscle" but I do think that as time goes by, things will settle and get better. 

It doesn't look like it from your photo, but the one time that I had a patient suffer a prolonged course after a routine blepharoplasty, it turned out she was allergic to the antibiotic ointment that I prescribed for her post op. If you are using a lot of eye drops, perhaps change to a different one and see if Benadryl helps. 

Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Blurry Vision After Blepharoplasty

I would see an ophthalmologist immediately to determine reason for the blurry vision, which is unusual at three weeks.  You appear to have some retraction of the lower lids, which can lead to dry eyes and blurry vision.  The ophthalmologist will be able to test for dry eyes, astigmatism, and other causes.  Good luck!

Raj P. TerKonda, MD, FACS

Three weeks post blepharoplasty and can barely read

Inform your surgeon that the problem is persisting. Otherwise consult an ophthalmologist or oculoplastic surgeon.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eye symptoms after surgery

Dear Davinci7,

I'm so sorry you're having such trouble!  Are you massaging your lower lids?  With my blepharoplasties I usually tell them the general eye irritation can last several weeks - up to a month or 6 weeks.  The general eye irritation can mean dry eyes, excessive tearing, and difficulty with focusing.  I do see some lid malposition in your photographs that you should talk to your plastic surgeon about.  Some can be resolved with lower lid massage, especially early in the post-op course as you are.  Your lower lids are a little too low (which means they may not be protecting your eyes as well as they should) and your upper lids are slightly uneven.  If your plastic surgeon is not giving you the support you need, I suggest you see a board certified plastic surgeon (another one if your surgeon is too) or oculoplastic surgeon who can help.  I can see this situation is stressful for you - but with time and massage you will likely be in good shape.  But speak with someone you trust!  Who is board certified.  And best of luck!

Dr. Jespersen

M. Renee Jespersen, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Dry eye is normal after eyelid surgery.

You have left upper eyelid retraction and surgical deficiency in the lower eyelids as a result of your recent surgery.  This may require surgical intervention.  You need aggressive dry eye management.  That management can't be done through this forum.  Please see your general ophthalmologist or an oculoplastic surgeon for help with your dry eye.