How painful is it to get saline implants deflated? I am terrified and must be awake, with local anesthesia only.

They do it a few days before surgery so I can try on sizers with my true tissue. I have very small implants from 1997- 175ccs. I will get deflated on a Monday and will replace them with something in the 400-450cc range the following Thursday.

Deflating saline implants

is almost painless... as you may already know.  But as for resizing, I personally would wait a little longer than just days and when choosing your size, you must account for the volume of the empty shell to get the most accurate sizing.

Implant deflation

Thank you for your question.  Deflation of saline breast implants in the office is a relatively painless procedure.  A small numbing injection of lidocaine is given so that the slightly larger needle to drain the implants is not felt.  Best wishes!

Saline implant deflation in prep for mastopexy surgery

Deflating saline breast implants in clinic prior to a cosmetic breast procedure is a reasonable plan to ensure accurate planning of subsequent augmentation and breast lift surgery. 

How painful is deflation of a saline implant?

Inserting a needle to deflate a saline implant is virtually painless and easy.  Relax and think positively.  It should be a very easy and simple procedure for you.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Deflating implants

Deflating implants is a very simple and routine procedure and takes minutes and is not painful. Best of luck. 

Thank you for the question and stop worrying as it is no big deal but you also could put sizes in a bra to get an idea of your future size and avoid deflation

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Deflating Saline Implants

Deflating a saline implant is very easy and is not painful at all.  It is just a tiny needle stick ( like a vaccination) on each side and only takes a few minutes.  It should be easier than getting your teeth cleaned.  I hope this helps.

Deflating saline implants

This is not a very painful procedure at all.  Local anesthesia is infiltrated. Once that is done a needle is used to deflate the implant which is also not painful at that point. It will be easier than you think.  The only thing is that you are awake and aware if that kind of thing freaks you out!

Deflating saline implants prior to surgery

Thank you for your question. Deflating a saline implant prior to surgery can be very helpful in determining the new implant size. This is a very simple procedure that is done in the office under local anesthesia. Patients rarely have any significant discomfort as the procedure essentially involves placing a small needle through the skin to rupture the implant. Best regards and good luck with your surgery.

How painful is it to get saline implants deflated?

In office deflation procedures are extremely well-tolerated; in other words, with the use of local anesthesia, patients experience minimal to no discomfort.  Communicate your anxieties with your plastic surgeon who may be able to help you, in a variety of ways. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.