What form of liposuction is best for a BBL (Brazilian butt lift) fat transfer?

I'm wanting to have a bbl done in Australia however, we don't have as many options for surgeons who are good at that procedure here. Some use tumescent liposuction, some use lipo soft, some use lipo jet and others use Vaser. Although I know this surgery is very surgeon dependent I'm wondering if there is any particular type of fat harvesting that creates better/longer lasting results. I want to have a really trim torso and I want this to last a lifetime. I also don't want to be all lumpy :(

BBL technique

There is no definitive data on which technique of liposuction is best for harvesting fat for a fat transfer. There is some data however to suggest how the fat is separated and processed prior to injection which can increase the number of viable(live) fat cells. Puregraft is a method of collecting the fat cells and washing out the harmful red blood cells and lipids. This has had very promising results. Ultimately, the overall combination of the surgeon's technique of harvesting, processing and injecting the fat is what creates the good long lasting results. It's also important post surgery to avoid direct pressure on the fat cells for a few weeks.

Hello and thank you for your question!

In general terms, the best technique is the one that the surgeon has more experience with, because technology can help to get those results only from an experienced hand. There has been a proven research that the use of laser is better quality-wise for fat grafting, because of the outcome of the fat after the use of the machine. However, if you're surgeon has experience with a normal or more orthodox technique, you may be able to get the desired results as well. 

For more advise, please remember to seek the help of a board certified surgeon.

Good luck!

Enriquillo Clime Rivera, MD

Best form of liposuction for BBL fat transfer

Thanks for you question! The best liposuction method is the traditional tumescent procedure to harvest the fat. It is the procedure with the least amount of trauma to the individual fat cells. The enhancement on BBL works best with the reverse pump technique which achieves the most longevity (average of 70-75% fat take).

Hope this helps! Have a great day.

Dr. Newall

German Newall, MD

What form of liposuction is best for a BBL fat transfer?

Thank you for your question. You are absolutely right that body sculpting and fat transfer are surgeon dependent. The surgeons who state that anything beyond tumescent liposuction is marketing hype only, demonstrate their ignorance. Even the "best" surgeons cannot deliver the promised results with the wrong instrumentation. In my preop evaluation of a patient, I cannot tell if this will be easy fat extraction or difficult. To deliver the promised results to the patient, one must have the right instruments. I use the VASER and the Power X together to sculpt the torso circumferentially. It is more important to do the sculpting and defining the buttock's anatomical boundaries than the amount of fat injected. A patient who had previous liposuction before, was impossible to sculpt and achieve as good results as in primary cases. With the VASER and Power X this is possible. A growing part of my practice is correcting other surgeons' results who thought that there is no difference in technique. See a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in advanced body sculpting techniques for an in person consultation /evaluation. Good luck.

Choosing the correct type of liposuction

I think you kind of answered your own question.

It's really the surgeon not the equipment.

VASER has been reported as not causing any damage to individual fat cells.

I have always question if that is true or not. Pick the best surgeon a let him or her use the equipment to use

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Hi. Excellent question! Whether a surgeon chooses to perform suctiona assited lipoplasty (SAL), power assisted lipoplasty (PAL), ultrasonic lipoplasty (UAL) it does not matter as much as the individual surgeon and his/her experience in delivering good CONSISTENT results. I can tell you that the one lipo technique which is useless for the BBL is the laser assited lipoplasty (LAL) better known as Smart Lipo. This latter technique destroys the integrity of the fat cell, thus making it useless for transfer.

I am certified but the American Board of Plastic Surgery and have practiced in the Miami area for the past 29 tears. As you we'll know, the South Florida area has become a hot bed for Brazilian Butt Lifts. Unfortunately, cosmetic surgery down here as also given rise to a number of mom and pop clinics who perform surgeries at unimaginable low prices. Buyer beware.

The key is............ does the surgeon have a keen sense of aesthetics? Can he/she create a shapely, attractive buttock or are they just technicians that wind up with large unshapely behinds? The same holds true for the liposuction portion of the procedure. Understand that liposuction whether SAL, PAL or UAL ( not including LAL because the fat obtained through this technique will not be useful) is not that technically challenging. However, the keen aesthetic eye will determine the eventual work of art.We are creators and have the ability to turn out beautiful works of art. Simply put................not all artists create quality work.

Always seek out the opinion of a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in liposuction and fat transfers . Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. We can accommodate patients from as far away as California. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up.

Give yourself the highest percentage of a sucssesful operation. Good luck, Dr. PG

Liposuction Technique

I have tried many different types of liposuction for fat transfer and I have found that the Vaser provides the most consistent results, with the highest percentage of fat take, and the least amount of bruising.  The reason for this I believe is that the Vaser emulsifies the fat without destroying the cells.  This requires less trauma to remove the fat, and with less trauma the cells have a better chance at making the transfer. 

Best liposuction technique

In my opinion the best liposuction technique is that which achieves maximal fat removal without damaging the fat. I use the Power X device is made by Vaser. It does not use any ultrasound or laser energy but rather mechanically removes the fat tissue by oscillating in a circular motion. It is used with the standard tumescent technique. It does not add as much cost to the procedure as do the other more expensive modalities.Good luck with your search for a suitable surgeon.

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon