Age 31, 5'2", 115lb, 32 big A. Will 280cc help me to get small C?

Dr. measure my breast width 11 and suggest I should not go for anything more then 280cc to look natural. I do not want just a B but want to be a small C. will this give me the result? I have very small waist line. or will it be too big for my frame? I definitely not wanting it to be anything bigger then C.

Implant Selection

Thank you for your question. It is much better to accurately discuss implant volume with an in office exam and detailed measurements.

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements/characteristics. I use these measurements to help me during the sizing process to guide you to a safe result for your chest wall and just as important, one that meets your end desires.

The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor. The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant. It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you during the sizing process.

In addition, review of photos and use of rice bags can be very helpful to the patient and surgeon in achieving a safe and happy result. Close intereaction and involvement from your surgeon during this process can help alleviate the anxiety and fears of choosing the right size.

I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.

Dr. Gill

Will 280cc help me to get a small C?

Thank you for your question.  I would not be able to give you an accurate answer without an in-person exam.  Based off your current breast size, 280cc should be able to give you the look you are desiring.  However it is important to keep in mind that the implants look different on every body type, and every bra fits differently.  

If you would like additional informmaiton on breast augmentation and the sizing process you can download a free copy of my Breast Augmentation Planner at

Best of luck to you!

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Getting a small C

Getting a small C should be possible with a 280cc implant but it's really impossible to say for sure without examining you and having you try on sizers.  At our clinic we let patients try on sizers and then measure them let them know what approximate cup size they will be.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Choosing implants

Your best bet when you are trying to decide on implants is to try on sizers of the exact implant you are considering inside a very tight sports bra. This will give you a close idea of what you will look like. More importantly the dimensions or width of the implants need to match and fit your frame and body. If you are working with a board certified plastic surgeon with an expertise in breast augmentation he or she should be able to help you with this in their office. Good luck! best, Dean Vistnes, M.D

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Several things to consider when picking implant size

Having been a plastic surgeon in Las Vegas and Arizona for fifteen years - here are a few things I've learned that can help ensure you choose the right implant size:
1) A Rrule of thumb for someone your size - about 200 cc is going to raise you a cup size.
2) Look at before and after pictures of your surgeon's work - this is the best determinant of what you are going to look like with the implant size chosen - we have numerous breast/body types and different sizes of implants chosen in our book to help patients get a feel for what they will look like.
3) Try on implants - while not perfect, this can at least give you a reasonable idea of what the implant will look like in clothes.
4) DO NOT go to the surgery unless you are comfortable with your choice - this is the most important lesson I have learned after performing over 4000 breast augmentations - at our office our goal is to help you become completely comfortable with ALL of your decisions regarding your breast surgery BEFORE the operation.  This has been the most important factor in achieving patients happy with their results as well as their entire experience.

Will 280cc Implant get me from a A to a C.

Without a photo, it is hard to exactly say. 200cc-225cc in a petite patient will increase their breast one cup size. It is unlikely that adding only 65-80ccs would bring you up another cup size. It is for that reason, in many of my patients who what a Gummy Bear (cohesive gel implant) I recommend a saline implant. You then have the ability to add even more saline 3-6 months later, without having to buy new implants. It does require another anesthesia and minimal OR costs. A happy patient tells her friends. After any implant, you are swollen and think they are too big, but then the swelling goes down, and many patients wish they went bigger.

Alan B. Pillersdorf, MD

based on your history is well full that a 200 cc breast implant will enlarge you from an a to a C cup in most manufacturer's bras.  Victoria secret generally sizes bras 1 cup size larger than other manufacturer's thus you might obtain a C cup size at Victoria secret.

With a breast base width of 11 it is more likely that using a high profile implant in the 350 cc range might help you achieve your goal.

I suggest trying the Rice test in the privacy of your own home to get a clear idea of what volume it will take to produce the look that you want.  For more information on choosing breast implant size please read the following link:

Probably not

Really hard question to answer without more info or at least a picture. Bra cup size is a bad way to measure results, or to estimate expectations. Bra size is subjective to the company making the bra and is not standardized. I never promise a cup size result.  Having said that, I estimate a "cup" size to be ~200-240cc's.  This is a very rough estimate so your planned procedure will likely produce a very modest 1 cup size increase.  In my practice, most lady's opt to go a bit bigger than that to justify the cost and to achieve noticeable results.

Marc Polecritti, DO
Spring Hill Plastic Surgeon

280 cc implants adequate?

It's hard to make this determination without an examination or at least a picture. In my experience a 280 cc  implant is very minimal. In my patient population even with my petite women I would say at least average volume of 325 to 350 cc. Focus not cup size but the desired. 

What size breast Implants do I need?

A plastic surgeon who uses biodimensional planning principals can help you determine the ideal size, shape and position of a breast implants for you.  My breast augmnetation gallery of 90+ patients (link below) will show you have different sized implants can look different on different women.

If you want a conservative result, find a plastic surgeon with considerable expertise in providing natural looking results with small breasts. We all have seen small implants that are too high, too far apart, or somehow look "stuck on" the chest. Small implants do not guarantee a natural looking result. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon