4 months after ptosis surgery. Will massage help?

Hello Doctors. After Mullerectomy surgery, I have a difference in down gaze (about 2 mm). The surgery was 4 months ago. Will massage help to minimize the difference at this late post-op stage? What else can I do to relax an eyelid muscle?

Hi 7VF409,Thanks for your question. A photo would really help us to get a better understanding of your issue. However, I can say that there's usually little to be gained from eyelid massage after a mullerectomy in the first 4 months. In fact, it possible that you could stretch the lid back out and create another ptosis situation. We usually wait 6 months after a mullerectomy to determine if a revision is needed. I would remain patient as most patients become more symmetric as time goes on after this procedure. I wouldnt hesitate to contact your surgeon if you have additional questions. Good luck!

Revision ptosis surgery ?

It is unlikely massaging will help at this time. See an oculoplastic specialist for evaluation. At least need photos of your eyes.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Massage can damage the ptosis surgery.

If your eyelid margins are aligned when you look straight ahead and only have an issue when you look down, this is an acceptable result.  Stop messing with your eyelids.  Manipulating your eyelid will damage the surgical result.