Alternative Option to Permanent Lip Augmentation?

What is the best alternative to permanent (or as at least LONG TERM) Lip Augmentation? $500 for Juvederm every 4 mos, and the pain and bruising is just getting to be too much. I have read about Permalip but can't find a lot of Dr's in Chicago that offer it. Can anyone help? 

Permanent Lip Augmentation Options

For longer lasting enhancement, there are two options: fat transfer or an AlloDerm graft. The fat transfer process uses fat taken from another region of the patient's bodyuses the patient's own fat from another area of the body and it is re-injected evenly into the lips for a natural, complication free enhancement. There are no allergic reactions involved. An AlloDerm graft is like a lattice structure that lets vines grow in your garden. It is a piece of skin that has been stripped of its living cells; all that is left is a soft, collagen structure. The collagen structure is inserted into the lip where it allows the patient's own cells to attach and grow, which provides the enhancement. The graft is placed easily through small, inconspicuous incisions in the corners of the mouth. The result is a very natural look and feel for long term enhancement. Because both AlloDerm and fat transfer use human tissue for enhancement, there is no chance of inflammation or an allergic reaction.

Permalip implants

Permalip is a great option for long term lip augmentation in the right patients. I generally advise patients to try a temporary filler to ensure that they like the look. If the patient is comfortable with the look and, like yourself, tired of repeated injections, then they are a good candidate for a longer term solution.

Permalip is a silicone implant that comes in different sizes, is not resorbed by the body, and gives relatively predictable results. The procedure takes about 15 minutes and involves tiny incisions in the commisure (corner) of the mouth. A tunnel is then created on top of the muscle underneat the vermillion and mucosa of the lip. The implant is then pulled into the pocket and situated in place. The patient should be prepared for swelling and have a couple of days to recover. I have had some great results with the permalip.

Fat is another option for long term augmentation. Fat is placed usually placed on top of the muscle using a blunt injection cannula. The results can be striking but a bit more unpredictable than artificial fillers or permalip. The patient should be prepared for the possibilty of a supplemental fat injection in the future as about 50% of the fat injected will resorb.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Permalip Lip Implants

Thank you for your question. Permanent lip implants such as PermaLip™ gives lips a fuller appearance and reduces the fine lines and wrinkles. It will help effectively fight the signs of ageing, improve your smile, and leave your lips looking wonderfully natural. Permalip™ are revolutionary lip implants that are designed to look and feel natural, yet enhance your lip volume to the desired size. It does not deflate, degrade or rupture over time. Although it’s permanent, it is designed for the ease of placement if a patient wishes to achieve a larger or smaller enhancement or even return to the lips original appearance. It does not limit lip movement and provides a natural look.There are pros for both lip fillers and lip implants
  • Improve your self confidence with a perfect pout
  • Forever fuller lips with our permanent solutions
  • No need to hide, you can be back to work in days.
  • Walk-in, walk-out procedure
  • Variety of options to choose from to give you the lips you want
  • Look and feel natural
The cons of lip filler, which most of my patients express are: lip filler is only temporary therefore becoming costly paying £300 every 4-6 months, also lip filler can sometimes create a 'fake' look - therefore they feel Permalip lip implants look more natural and more cost effective.Please find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve.
Best Wishes

Options for Permanent Lip Augmentation?

Thank you for your question. Lip Implants may
be a reasonable option for those individuals who are seeking permanent lip
enhancement or for those who have not been satisfied with the longevity of
effect afforded by hyaluronic acid fillers. The PermaLip (Perma Facial) Implant is FDA
approved for permanent lip augmentation. While this treatment is generally
safe, every treatment carries potential risks that you
should discuss with your surgeon.

James M. Pearson, MD

Check out lip lift procedure

Lip lift procedure can be a good option for permanent lip enhancement It offers not only lip shortening and lift but also more real pout

Juvederm should last longer

An HA filler such as juvederm and restylane in the lips should last 9-12 months, not 4 months.  If you are looking for something permanent, I would recommend fat injection.  Yes, there is a possiblility for repeat treatments, but most often, one time does the trick.  Fat injection is, however, permanent.  What remains four months post injection should be there forever. 

Jennifer Keagle, MD

Lip augmentation

I agree that temporary fillers such as hyaluronic acid gels are not the most affordable long term and require frequent injection and frequent recoveries. They do work well and are predictable. I would make sure you are happy with the increased volume of the lip with these products and then move to something like fat injections to the lip.

Fat, however, is not as predicatble as the gel fillers and may require repitive treatments, but when a long term volume is achieved it can be permanent. It avoids the risk of lip implants such as scarring and infection.

Other options include other tissues from your body which have been used or biologic implants which really are not permanent.

Andrew P. Trussler, MD